Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Kitchenaid trash compactor KUCS03FTSS0 - ram is stuck in down

Kitchenaid trash compactor KUCS03FTSS0 - ram is stuck in down position, cannot open the drawer. Have removed the device from under the counter but cannot figure out how to get at the innards.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

What happens if you turn the compactor on? Do you just keep hearing the motor run even though it won't lift the ram?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes - it makes a humming sound

OK so it sounds like you just have a common problem with the gear stripping out or breaking. The gears are just made of plastic so they fail often. But you'll need to tip the unit on its side and remove all the screws going into the bottom panel. Remove the bottom panel below the unit and that will give you access to the gears so you can replace them. Below is a link to the kit you'll need to order. Just replace the gear that broke and you should be good to go again.

CLICK HERE for gear kit

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sounds reasonable - I'll go look at it and see if I can find the screws

ok good luck!