Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My microwave has stopped heating. Im wondering if it is something

My microwave has stopped heating. I'm wondering if it is something simple I can fix myself.
it turns on and sounds like it is working but it does not heat and has a strong smell when I open the door after turning it on.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

I'm sorry to say that this is not something simple to fix. If the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed.  The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning.  This will create a bit of an electrical burning smell as the cooling fan blows through the magnetron to cool it. The part itself costs about $100-150 so depending on the condition of the microwave, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!