Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have a front loader gltf2940es0 washer that keeps showing

We have a front loader gltf2940es0 washer that keeps showing an error E20 when there is 37 minutes left in the cycle. The drain is unobstructed, we have change the door latch, we have changed the drive belt in the back, but it still stops and shows the code it does drain but it will not move after about the 40 minute mark and then at 37 minutes flashes the code. What else could it be the Motor COntrol Board?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So E20 is a drain error problem. You'll want to remove the 2 screws in the lower right and left corner below the lower front panel. The lower front panel will then pull down, forward and off. Remove the hose between the tub and the drain pump as this is normally the area where you get a clog. Either unclog the line or keep looking for a blockage in the drain hose or the pump itself. If you find nothing, then you need to replace the drain pump itself. This issue has absolutely nothing to do with the dive belt, MCU, or door latch assembly so I'm not sure what got you on that track, but it's definitely a drain issue.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We did that, we even ran water through the hose, the washer drains into the sink with full force. then it stops the pump gets quite and then it starts to hum and drain a little more but the clothes and drum do not move?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so unfortunately the pump itself is just stalling which is why you hear it hum but no more water comes through. The drain pump itself just needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But when it first starts to drain it fills the sink 1/4 full so it does drain then stops and drains a little more then stops and then drains more until we finally get the error. So you think it is still the pump, it does drain.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I do think it's still the pump. You can test power to make sure you're getting 120 volts to the drain pump the entire time when it's turning on and off, but if so then that confirms that your drain pump is bad. If not, then that would mean your drain pump is bad--that would be very rare.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I don't understand, please read what you wrote "but if so then that confirms that your drain pump is bad. If not, then that would mean your drain pump is bad--that would be very rare." So the drain pump is or isn't bad and it is rare for it to be bad?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry that was a typo. I meant to say if the drain pump is cutting out because it's not getting power all the time, then that would be a bad control board. But if it cuts out and it's getting 120 volts all the time, that's a bad drain pump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX try that. have a good evening.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and sorry about the confusion. Good luck!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.