Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My kenmore ice dispenser flap is open like a spring is off.How

My kenmore ice dispenser flap is open like a spring is off.How can I get the outside molding surround off to see what's wrong ?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator and can be seen if you open the door.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Perfect, thank you. So first is a video that shows you how to remove the front panel off of the dispenser.

CLICK HERE for video

Now let me explain what has likely happened because this is a fairly common symptom on this particular model. There has been a kit re-designed to fix this issue and it comes with instructions which will walk you through how to install it. Basically the flap door hinges have likely broken because they are plastic so a new hinge has been designed out of metal. Below is a link to the kit you need to order and install.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!