Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My washer does not agitate. I works if I press down on it,

My washer does not agitate. I works if I press down on it, but otherwise it just twitches.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker down below the lid near the hinges. It's hard to see since it's tucked up underneath, but it's there.

Also, can you watch the bottom of the agitator and does the bottom still work even though the top doesn't without pushing down?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Serial# XXXXX

I started a cycle - the bottom part shakes back and forth but doesn't rotate and the top doesn't rotate

OK so the bottom part is not supposed to rotate in a complete circle, it should just move back and for about 90 degrees or so. Is that what the bottom of the agitator is doing? Or is it more of a "shaking" motion?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The bottom part is going about 90 degrees like you said, and with very little or no load the top piece rotates - so I guess it's just loose. How do I fix it?

OK so that's good news because it means you just have a bad $20 part. Your agitator dogs are stripped out and would need to be replaced. Below is a link to the part as well as a video that shows you how to replace it.

CLICK HERE for agitator dogs

CLICK HERE for video

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!