Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Our Fisher Paykel 2 drawer dishwasher is 9 years old. It sometimes

Our Fisher Paykel 2 drawer dishwasher is 9 years old. It sometimes turns on by itself. Lately, a lock symbol is coming on and beeping in the upper drawer. I have never been impressed with it. But for being 9 years old, it is time to buy new or invest in repairs.
Oh yes. Sometimes to drawers are locking too so they won't move.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can I get the mdoel number to better assist you? It should be located on a sticker in the lower left corner on the frame of the dishwasher and can be seen if you open the top drawer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
DC603
OK perfect. So unfortunately it sounds like you have two different problems. The issue with the drawer lid not raising at the end of the cycle so the drawer won't pull put is a common one and it means that the door actuators would need to be replaced. These are the motors on the right and left side of the dishwasher that raise and lower the lide. They have been re-designed about 3 or 4 times now, and they are fairly reliable now, but were not so reliable 9 years ago. Either way, below is a link to both the top drawer and the bottom drawer actuators you'd want to replace.

CLICK HERE for top actuators

CLICK HERE for lower actuators

Now as for your dish drawer locking out or starting on it's own, that means your LCD touch board is going bad. Possibly just the heat or steam from the cycle causes it to act up randomly, but it shouldn't. Either way, that would need to be replaced and below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for LCD touchpad

If you had someone come out and replace all these parts, it'll likely cost about $300 so it's getting to the point where you should start thinking of replacing the dishwasher, but that's sompletely up to you since it's such an expensive unit to start with.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So I would need two actuators and one LCD touchpad and repair service. Time for a new dishwasher. Any recommendations? Not looking for bells and whistles anymore. Just something reliable.
I generally recommend Bosch if you're looking for reliability. Not the lower end Ascenta models as they tend to have problems, but any of the models over $700 or so are very good.

If you're looking for something less expensive, probably Frigidaire has the most reliable unit.

I would say that it's best to stay away from Whirlpool, Maytag, and GE as they have quite a few problems currently.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I did a little research earlier and suspected actuators as part of the problem. You confirmed what I suspected. Thanks for the recommendations.

No problem and I wish you only the best. I'm really sorry about the bad news once again.