Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE Front loader WCVH6600HWW suddenly stopped working. Water

Customer Question

My GE Front loader WCVH6600HWW suddenly stopped working. Water no longer flows into the machine and the door will remain locked until after I unplug it and replug and wait for several minutes, then it will release itself. How do you get it in the test mode... I have tried, signal, delay, signal, delay
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Test mode is not going to help on this problem unfortunately because you're not getting an error code on the display.

That being said, can you tell me what is happening exactly? You said the door wouldn't open, but then you unplugged it and plugged it back in and the door unlocked. You drained all the water out, so I'm assuming there is no water in the washer at all now, correct?

What happens when you try to start a cycle? Can you change and select all the different functions to start a new cycle? Does the door lock? Does anything happen next?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After we get the door finally unlocked, we can change all wash settings & start a load. No water comes in & there is a humming noise that sounds like the drain pump. The door locks as normal. Once we hit the power button or unplug the door remains locked & after unplugging it takes a few moments then the door locked displays. The machine then . becomes inoperable until unplugged

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK can you try to listen and see if the humming noise is coming from down below where the drain pump is located or is it coming from the back top corner where the fill hoses are connected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Down below in front

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Down belowb near front

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so it sunds like the washer thinks the tub is full of water and isn't draining so it's going into flood mode causing the drain pump to turn on and the door to not unlock. What's weird is that your not getting an error code which means that your control board is likely that faulty part. That being said, there is no way to test between the pressure switch and the control board, but given your symptoms and no error code, I would imagine your control board is the problem because the pressure switch should give you an error code when this happens.

The first thing you'll want to do is make sure the pressure hose isn't clogged. To access the pressure switch, pull the washer forward and remove the 2 or 3 screws coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will then pull straight back, up, and off. The pressure switch is mounted to the right side wall above the tub and is the only part with several wires going to it as well as a small rubber hose. Disconnect the rubber hose and blow through it to make sure it's clear. If you still have an issue, replace the main control board itself. Below is a link to the control board you'll want to order and I would order the part from Repairclinic.com because they allow you to return control boards unlike most appliance parts stores. That is a good option to have on issues such as yours where you can't test the parts.

CLICK HERE for control board

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ordered the control panel. Will let you know how we make out.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK good luck!
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Received control board today. Had it installed properly. Does exactly the same thing as before. Will not go in to test mode either. Allows settings to be set and started but no water will go in and then it begins humming into drain mode. After a few minutes the machine shuts off or stays in locked mode.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, the only other thing that would cause the washer to drain right away is the pressure switch. If the washer thinks the tub is flooded, it will turn the drain pump on. I know you tried to blow through the drain hose and make sure it's all clear, but at this point with a new control board you'll want to order and replace the pressure switch itself. Below is a link to the part

CLICK HERE to pressure switch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After waiting for your response the control panel actually read t01 for a few minutes but then shut off again. I then tried a cycle again. Started at 59 minutes within 1 minute it acts like draining and now has stopped & unlocked door at 55 mins.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
that's really odd. "t01" just means you're in diagnostics and it's doing test one. That's all part of the electronics in the board that you just replaced

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Should I put on test again and leave it to see what it does?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Maybe if it'll go into test. But if you run a normal cycle and you're sure that the humming is coming from the pump below the tub and it shuts off after that motor shuts down, then I'd replace the pressure switch next.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok so I can return the control board? and try a pressure switch?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that is what I'd do if it's acting the same way.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

k I will get back to you again, thank you

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok now after replacing the Control Panel and Pressure Switch, the machine is STILL doing the exact same thing.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm really not sure what to say. The error points that the board is bad, but you replaced the board so it really doesn't make a lot of sense. It's possible that the motor control board is confusing the machine control board causing this problem, but you really should probably just contact someone locally to replace the parts at this point because there isn't much testing you can do for this issue and the common control board is likely the faulty part.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well at this point I find that your service wasn't useful to me at all. All it did was cost me money for the parts, return for the parts and the $30 for you NOT to fix it.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, but some issue are just a bit more complicated than others and really just need someone on-site to look over the unit.