Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have an 8000 BTU Maytag compact (not a chassis) unit AC with

I have an 8000 BTU Maytag compact (not a chassis) unit AC with an occassionally squeeling blower motor. I want to remove the cover to access the motor to try to drop a bit of oil on the bearing and to clean. How do I open it up?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry no. It has electronic control panel on the right side and top louvers. It's about 10 years old.

Is this a window unit or a freestanding unit?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Window unit. The top cover seems bolted to the unit with two screws on the outside on each side, an done on each side inside the window.

OK, so unfortunately it's a bit difficult without an exact model, but have you un-installed the window unit from the window yet? Is it sitting out in the open now?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I did not bring it in and Im not near it. It basic question is do I just remove the external screws, and lift the cover off?

Yes, that is exactly what you need to do, but you must completely un-install the air conditioning unit in order to be able to remove the top panel. There should be 4 screws or so on the 2 window filler "sashes" in each corner that hold the window unit in place. Just remove these screws and then hold onto the AC unit. Open the window further and then the AC unit should just pull out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To remove the top cover to get to inside, beside the external screws, do I need to unscrew the mountings that holds the sashes in place, or do those screws not bolt into the chassis?

The sashes should just slide out of the grooves on most of these models, but if they are screwed in you may need to remove the screws.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Let me be a bit more clear. Do the screws that secure the sash bracket to to the cover also enter the chassis, or can the sash bracket remain in place when the cover is removed?

That depends on the model. But if you have screws that hold the sash bracket to the AC and it's not just molded onto the chassis, then yes they do go into the chassis.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. One other thing. The front plastic cover does not seem to be screwed onto the ac. How do i remove it?

Again, without a model number, it's impossible to say, but normally once you remove the top panel you'll see screws going into the vent panel that you can remove and then the vent plastic panel pulls off.