Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

My Fridge has quit. Last time this happenned I accomplished

My Fridge has quit. Last time this happenned I accomplished some reset procedure.
But bad back preventing me from pulling fridge out from it's tight space to pull the plug.
Is that necessary to reset. Been about less than 36 hours. And I just last night about 12 hrs ago, turned temp dial for fridge part to off, and this pm it seemed to be cool, but not less than 40º I'd estimate. It's a Whirlpool Imperial, I bought with a few years old in 1996!
Technician time?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can I get the model number to better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator and can be seen if you open the door.

Also, are both the refrigerator and freezer section warming up?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wow, ok. Model# XXXXX That's a zero, not an "OH".

Ser E91913334 - Manuf Date 05/89! Type 18ATR89?

----- Never knew that info was there!

Both sections warmed up. Ice cream was soft last night.I reset after I noticed that, by turning off fridge for about 10 - 15 mins and then turning it back on. About 3:30 am pst.

Ok, I also tried to reset it a few hrs ago by turning off & on again.

Now notice it is making a little noise. Not the usual ones it has been making for several years. But like something is on, not so much a hum, more like a small turning.

But the freezer did not seem to cool off at all!

Ok so this is quite a problem unfortunately. This is not something you can just reset. This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out. It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. Is either or both fixes likely to restore the fridge to use for a period of 1-2yrs. more?

Going with the exellent rating. Thanks, Doc!

I would think much longer than that. If you repair the refrigerator I would expect another 5 years or so before something else breaks.
I'm just following up to see how your appliances is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It started to work a week ago Wednesday. But having arranged to take one from the apartment mngmnt. will be giving te "Imperial" to a newlywed cple in my extended family as a stop gap appliance as they are finally moving into thier own apt. The repair info is passed onto them in the event they decide to proactively deal with it.

Alright, i'm glad you're back up and running one way or another.