Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Hi... concerning Moffat G32MS Convection Oven...at high temp

Hi... concerning Moffat G32MS Convection Oven...at high temp burner is not cycling to maintain temp. I assume based on reading the manual.. that that means the ignition system has locked out. Is this to be expected as normal operating conditions (hope note), or does it indicate another issue.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 10 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Can you please explain what you mean by "at high temp" burner is not cycling to maintain temp?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

when thermostat is set for 500 -600 degrees

on bake? Or on broil?

And it works normally at 350 degrees correct?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

We think so... but will check it now. Primary use will be at 450 degrees and higher. Are you aware of High Temp lock out as opposed to lower temp?

So I'm asking because this oven and most ovens in general are not designed to be used at 500 degrees or more. Only broil is designed to be used for 550 degrees. You're pushing the limits at 500 degrees, but it should still work normally at 500 degrees as long as it's not on for hours. If it's on for less than 2 hours, then you shouldn't have problems. If you're having problems when the unit is running at 500 degrees or less on bake, then you'll need to have someone take a look at the ignition system. The heat might be causing the igniter to warp and not sense the flame properly or something of that sort and it may just need an adjustment, or possibly a new igniter.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

So... we'll run the oven today at 450 and see what happens and if your theory is correct.

yes, but it can not run all day either. I'm not sure what you're using it for but if you're cooking at that high of a temperature it almost sounds like you're trying to use it for commercial applications or something and that is not how this oven can perform. It can cook at 450 for a few hours to cook a roast or something, but not all day.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

this is a commercial oven and we're a restaurant

OK so you'd really need to contact the manufacturer and determine exactly how long it can hold that kind of temperature for. There is no printed documents that show how long this oven can hold 450 degrees for, but I'd venture to say it might not be all day without overheating and shutting down. You definitely still can't do 500-600 all day, I know that will cause a problem, but I think more like 350-425 is what the ovens are design to run all day without having problems.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok

Good luck!
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.