Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a Samsung Refrigerator. Model RB215LASH It is not getting

I have a Samsung Refrigerator. Model RB215LASH It is not getting real cold anymore. Someone suggested the evaporator. Not sure where to start diagnosing. Please help
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

Is the freezer freezing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have the freezer set on -2 degrees and its at 2 degrees right now. The Refrigerator is set at 38 degrees and its at 63 degrees right now

Ok sounds like the freezer is ok, you likely have a iced/frosted over evaporator in the refrigerator or the evaporator fan in the refrigerator is not running. You need to remove the back panel inside the refrigerator section to get at the evaporator. Once you have the panel off check the evaporator. If it is all iced or frosted over you need to defrost it. Also check to see if the evaporator fanis running.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I took off the back panel and there were was ice blocks everywhere. I chipped off all the big pieces and then let sit for a day till it defrosted. It look like the fan had ice on it. After defrosting I turned the frig back on and now and the temp display just has two dashes that blink. (No temp numbers like before) Also the fan didn't kick on. Does the fridge door have to be closed for the fan to come on?

Yes the door has to be closed for the fan to come on. Unplug the unit for 30 seconds and plug it back in and see if everything comes back on after a minute or so. Let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

lol sorry I didnt reconnect the temp sensor. The numbers came back on.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Back panel is still off. Freezer is at -4. Fridge is only at 48 and its set on 38. What is wrong?

You have to have the panel on inside the unit or it will not run correctly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok I put the fridge back together turned it on. Came out in the morning and it was at -2 and 38 degrees just like it was set at. But then later that night went out and it was at -2 and 56 degrees. Freezer is good but fridge temp isn't. What can be tested and parts to fix?

You would need to check the evaporator fan in the refrigerator. I think it may have been damaged and is not blowing or turning fast enough to move the air over the evaporator in the refrigerator. I would check it and replace it. All I ask is that you rate my assistance as I have not received any credit for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is the part number and a good website to order the fan?

If you would rate my service that would be great as I have received no credit for my time. Thanks

Here is a link to the part.

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Evaporator-Fan-Motor/DA3100003N/1515197?modelNumber=RB215LASH