Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a whirlpool fridge. (GR9FHTXTB00) recently the freezer

I have a whirlpool fridge. (GR9FHTXTB00) recently the freezer has been freezing up and I have to defrost it by hand or everything goes warm. Also, have have notices that the fridge is constatnly running and does not go into defrost mode.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

good evening.If this is not going into defrost at all your ADB (adaptive defrost board) has failed. This is a common problem with these refrigerators, Defrost Control Board(NNN) NNN-NNNN        Main Product View ever since they've gone electronic they have had problems. you need to order and replace it. its not cheap however, $225.95. but if this isn't going into defrost thats the issue. heres a link to order it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Defrost-Control-Board/2304093/1174815?modelNumber=GR9FHTXTB00?RCAID=1000065 the part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN its located in the control panel inside the refrigerator section. (where you turn the dials to set the temp. take the screws out holding the control to the ceiling and drop it down , you will see it. it just plugs in. thanks and best wishes, Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks I just wanted confirmation that it was not the thermostat or element.

well If you didn't tell me it runs all the time without getting to defrost I may have thought different but when these stall in run and don't ever get to defrost then the board is the issue unfortunately. I really hate telling people how expensive these things can be to fix, it breaks my heart since these are expensive to buy to begin with. have a great night and please don't forget to rate me 3 or above so I get credit for helping you. well wishes and thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bought a new board and that did not fix tehe problem.

Okay thats not good, Tell me when you had to defrost this with a hair dryer were all the coils frosted ? not just some ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just some.

The ones around the edges, along the bottom, but not the top.

Also, the day the part arrived. it began defrosting and defrosted for a few days the went back to frosting up.

oh, Wow thats not good, It means the syatem is low on freon which means a leak, thats why its running all the time. when the coils dont all frost the refrigerator has to work all the time to try and cool it to temp. when it doesnt have enough freon only parts of the coils will frost , at this point you have two choices, call a tech to check for the leak and fix it then recharge the unit or replace the refrigerator. its a sealed system problem. you can send the part back to repair clinic though so thats good news, they allow returns no matter if its been installed or not. thats why I use them. Sorry about that.