Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

I have a GE profile side by side freezer that will no longer

I have a GE profile side by side freezer that will no longer dispense cubed or chopped ice from the door, the green light goes on but the motor inside does not turn, the icemaker is working and I can get water from the front, the part number on the "auger" is 200D4827G006
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

You don't happen to know the model number do you? Is it a 3 button dispenser?

If so when you press either selection can you hear any sounds at all?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think it has three buttons push LOCK and RESET, no sound at all and there is no frozen ice in the tray preventing dispensing ice

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX water is working the ice should be as well. The difference is the way it is wired through the main control board and the wiring at the auger motor for the ice. There is a soleniod that will pop when you choose cubes to keep the ice from being crushed. If you are hearing no noise at all that solenoid is not getting power.

I think since you hear no noise at all in any selection for ice the main board must be bad. As I mentioned there are 2 parts that get power in the cubed selection that get power to dispense cubed ice. Your not hearing either in any selection which means power is not being sent to that area. The main board does that.

The switch that delivers water is the same switch that delivers ice, the only difference is the selection you make at the dispenser. Even if you choose crushed or cubed one will work. Both will not fail at the same time. The only thing I can think of that will not send power up to the auger motor and solenoid is the main control board.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so is this fixable by an amateur or someone with experience if I purchase the part, how expensive is it

or should I just pull out the tray to get ice like in the old days?

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Its not a difficult part to change, it comes with an instruction sheet. The most important part is to monitor your freezer temperature after you install it. It would really be nice if you had internet there. You can change the part, I am confident of that. The sheet has several steps for several different refrigerators. DO NOT ignore step 2, read it and I think you will be okay, it will not break your fridge nor cause damage but it could cause it not to cool enough. Save this page to your favorites, stay in touch. If your dispenser produces no noise at all that has to be it if the button lights up.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

we have internet at our condo in mexico, I have a condo manager that could take a picture that may give the model number etc so we can get the correct part

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
That would be great, if I could get the model that would help a lot. Its in the fresh food section near the top on the wall.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will have my condo manager try and get a photo but it may take a while, I will log back in when I get it, this is worth a lot to me to be able to fix so keep in touch, the last time I used this service I tipped the guy $50

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I understand. This is the time I get in the evenings.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am trying to send a picture of the model number but the server won't let me

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i now have a photo of the model number but when i insert it and respond it say ACCESS DENIED, can you "refresh" our conversation so i can send you the model number and i can get some estimate of the cost for main control panel

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
I understand. If it is a photo try uploading to photobucket.com or tinypic.com and send me a link to the photo.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i am IT challenged but the pic is on photobucket.com

user name lsutliffmd4634

pw les5815ob

once you look at the model number if you could send me the part # and maybe some cliff notes on installation (unless an appliance guy would know how) i will send additional payment, thanks for your help

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
No problem, I need to send it as an answer, if you want to rate and pay that is okay and if you do not that will be perfectly fine as well. I will take a look and get right back. I am sorry for the delays, I have been working days and today I go to 2nd shift permenantly. Give me about 10 minutes.

Thanks,
Barry
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Click the link below. In the image you will see 3 white arrows and those are pointing at screws, I believe there are 4 of these. Unplug the refrigerator and remove these screws. That will get the motor assembly out for you. Make everything safe and plug in the refrigerator. Get a meter, set it to 120 volts ac. Put one lead to one wire on the motor and the other to the other wire. Have the door light switch taped so the freezer lights are out. When someone presses the dispenser for ice there should be voltage present at the motor.

If there is no voltage present the main control board is bad. If there is voltage present the motor is bad.

One other thing be sure to remove the panel below the doors. There is a wire connector there. Be sure that wire connector is clean and that the wires coming to it from the freezer door are unbroken. These tend to corrode and that could be the problem.

On the rear of the refrigerator is a smaller panel up on the wall. If you end up replacing the main control board that is the location. Remove that panel, put the new board in and turn on the refrigerator. Sometimes you need to way 40 minutes for the refrigerator to come on. Occasionally they will start in the defrost cycle and that is a silent cycle.

I tried to look up the model number and I guess, even though it says Louisville Ky. It must be manufactured for Mexico and I cannot see diagrams nor part numbers for non US models, you should be able to get that part number information from GE at 1-800-626-2005.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there was no link for me to click on

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Try this one.

CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i can't get to it without a login, could you cut and paste pertinent info? if not i will just see what i can do

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately our image uploader is broken. Try the link again below. I have relinked it.

CLICK HERE
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician