The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

I have a Maytag Neptune washer/dryer combo. It has stopped

Customer Question

I have a Maytag Neptune washer/dryer combo. It has stopped spinning. We had this unit fixed about a year after we bought it in 2000. I think it was a spinning issue at that time and the technicXXXXX XXXXXed out a circuit board with a burned out diode. Any advice how we might test or fix it ourselves? Thanks
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 10 months ago.
Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.
What is the model number of your unit, please?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

MLE2000AYW

Thank you. One moment please.
More than likely you have a bad indicator switch that the door lock wax motor is supposed to activate when it locks the door.
The access instructions to get to and test the switch are more than I can just type up for you in a reasonable amount of time.
What I can do is provide you with a copy of the service manual and get you started. Once you have the manual Im sure that you can continue on your own, but I will be here to help you if needed.
It really isnt hard to do this, but the manual is the best way to go.
Please stand by and I will upload the manual for you.
Experience: 30 years repairing appliances

Please click here to download the manual.
Go to page 3-6 and start there. This is the diagnostic flow chart for the no spin condition. Go through it as best you can and if you have any problems locating the systems they refrence just let me know and I will get you going again.
Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks Smitty. I think we have diagnosed the issue to the control board. We have found a refurbished one on Ebay for about $125. Do you think that is a good way to go? Or, do you know which diode burns out on these boards? Thanks

There is a repair kit that you can install yourself. It requires soldering skills, and a little bit of electronics knowlege (how to identify components). You can get one from http://neptunewasher.com

I have installed four of them personally and all of them are still working fine. You should replace all the wax motors too. Just to be on the safe side.

More than likely the refurbished board is one that this kit has been applied to. Whether it is a good buy I cant say. Once the kit is applied to these boards they are able to handle the surge sent by the failing wax motor so this problem is not an issue after that.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The board replacement worked. Thanks much for your help!!!

Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 9 months ago.

GREAT!! You are most welcome. Have a great weekend! =)