Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have a GE refrigerator model # XXXXX Suddenly water

I have a GE refrigerator model # XXXXX Suddenly water has been collecting inside on the bottom floor. There doesn't appear to be any leaks and I never see water running down the sides. What can this be and can I fix it myself?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning, Yes you can fix this yourself, Whats going on is your defrost drain is clogged. This is common on these. You need to remove the back panel inside the freezer section behind your food and clear the ice from under the coils. When this defrosts the water goes down a tube running down the back of the refrigerator. (number 315 on the digram) you need to boil some water remove panel number 210 on this diagram and pour the water over the ice until its all melted and the water drains freely again. sometime its nessasary to remove the tube running down the back and rinse it out to clear it. this will take care of your issue, thanks and best wishes. Bryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Should I unplug the refrigerator?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes thats a good idea to do. that way you have no power to it while your working on it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We removed the back and poured water on the coils. That didn't work so how do you remove the bllack tube on the outside back of the refrigerator?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well you need to pour the water under the coils where the sheet of ice is. to remove the back tube pull the refrigerator away from the wall and you will see the tube running down the back. it has claps holding to the back remove them and pull the tube out at the top.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well we didn't have a plumber's snake to clean it out and running hot water in it didn't get rid of the blockage. My son is outside trying to get it out with a hose.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay that should work. Sorry sometimes these are a pain.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My son is still working on it. It says that if I rate your service it will close my question. I will let you know if it works in a few minutes. Sorry that it is taking so long to clean out the debris.

Kim