The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

Question about Dometic Model 2852 RV refrigerator: when I turn

Question about Dometic Model 2852 RV refrigerator: when I turn the unit to the gas setting it lights and has a blue flame for a short time then the flame goes out and the check light comes on. There is a click sound that happens when the flame goes out. I would like to find out what I need to do to correct the issue. Thanks Jeremy
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Jeremy. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

The flame sense circuit has failed. The click you hear is the gas valve shutting off.

One moment and I will get you diagnostics and repair information.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank You please send me the diagnostics and repair information.

Okay. What you will need to do is test the flame sense circuit.

Pease see the information below to do this. The contropl board is at the back of the unit under a plastic cover to the left of the unit.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this information tells me how to test the flame sense circuit but I need to know what part needs to be replaced, or what part I need to let my local RV repair shop needs to order for me so that this issue is corrected. Thanks

Well now that would be putting the cart before the horse dont you think?

I am sorry, but much as I wish I could, unfortunately, I can not predict the outcome of the tests.

Without doing the tests there is no way of knowing which part is bad.

**How to rate your expert**

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I thought from the privious answers it seemed that the issues was the flame sense circuit. I am sorry I thought that would be a single plug in sytle circuit. I was just going to replace it. I will complete the test in the moring and let you know the results so that you would be able to give me more information on the results. Thanks

There are three things that can cause this problem. The main control board. The gas valve, and the sense circuit (thermocouple).

Let me know what you find out with the tests. I will be on line tomorrow after 12 noon PST.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure if you got the previous reply so I am going to do it again. I can not pull up the information on the tests that I need to complete. I could last night but I only get a blank page now. I am not sure if this will help any but the single click I hear just before the flame goes out seems to come from the control pannel. also the thermocouple is blackend at the end above the flame. All parts appear to be original to the 1998 unit. I will conduct the tests needed as soon as I can get the file sent to me again so I can open it. I will let you know the results as soon as I complete them. Thanks Jeremy

Im not sure what happened to the file Jeremy. It seems to have been erased from the JA servers. I will report this on Monday.

Here is the page again.

If you can not see it here is the direct link.

http://i40.tinypic.com/349cjuq.jpg

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

after completing the test I think that the Thermocoulpe is bad. the millivolts that I get when the flame is burning starts at 1 and slowly rises and at around 30 sec to 45 sec it is at 9.8 at that time the system shuts down. I assume a safty feature? If I have read correctly it should be between 25 and 35. From the results from the rest of the tests the only one I found a bit odd was the DV volts test I had current while I tested it the entire time, it did move around alot while being tested. Please let me know if this is what the issue is. Thanks Jeremy

Yes that is correct, Jeremy. The milivolt reading is way too low to maintain the gas valve open. Therefore it shuts down thinking that there is no flame present.

Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances