Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Frigidaire stackable washer/dryer model FEX831CSO.

I have a Frigidaire stackable washer/dryer model FEX831CSO. The dryer had been making a metal grinding screeching sound, which we probably let go for too long. Then finally, when we tried to start up a load, pushing the start button would only make a faint humming sound. Belt is still intact, though maybe old. Dryer drum is loose and has been scraping on the back panel, hence the sound. What could be the cause and how can I fix it. Thanks!

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today, in most cases its the rear drum beraring aasssenbly that needs to be replaced. Give me a minute to get that info.

okay yes the drum bearing is the most likely cause, have you looked at that yet ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not removed the drum to look at that part, but can. I have the schematics for this part of the dryer. Does the bearing actually help attach the drum to the back panel to support it?

okay I have a great video you can watch to show you how to do this, it makes it so easy. click this blue link, video you can also order the drum bearing at the same link for $22.00, hope this helps, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This absolutely looks like the problem! Looks like the metal grinding sound was the bearing being basically sawed in half! Thanks for your help. I'll get the part and hope that works.

that will take care of it ! I have done a thousand of these. good job ! Please remember that I don't get credit for helping you unless you rate me 3 or above. thanks and best wishes, Bryan