Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

Hi there, I have Kenmore 20 Porcelain plus that is not cooling

Customer Question

Hi there, I have Kenmore 20 Porcelain plus that is not cooling completely. It will temporarily get cold in fridge section and freezer, but for the last couple of weeks has intermittently gotten cool enough.

I removed the front bottom panel and cleaned the coils from front and back access. When accessing back section, I noted the coils, big black cylinder in the middle are very hot. Also noted the external fan at the bottom of the back access (to the right) wasn't spinning. With just a gentle touch it started spinning again, but would intermittently stop. When I nudged it again, it starts back, but doesn't spin continuously.

Thoughts, ideas, etc? Is it easier to replace fridge if it is something like the compressor?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Justin my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

This is how to test, put a window fan back there blowing on those coils. Keep it there and if the refrigerator gets cold and remains cold with that fan there then replace the fan motor. The reason is to be sure the compressor has not overheated and burned out. If it does not get cold and it is over 10 years old replace the refrigerator. The compressor will be bad and the repair will be expensive.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Barry,

It appears since yesterday afternoon at 3:30PM, they refrigerator has dropped >20 degrees since having a fan on the back of the unit.

How does one replace the fan motor and where do you get the part? Sears?

Thanks

Justin

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Yes that is a good place Justin. Are you able to find the model number in the fresh food section? I can link you.

Space out the numbers or I will not be able to see them. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 like that.

Barry

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model #

1 0 6. 8 7 3 0 8 6 0

Thanks

Justin

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Justin. The original is no longer made. What is available is a motor that is made to splice into your existing connection. That will work just fine. I have linked Sears below for you but if you really want to shop for the best price the part number is XXXXX anywhere you look if you use that number that will get you the motor available for your unit.

CLICK HERE FOR SEARS

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks

Can I still ask questions once I provide a rating ?
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely Justin. Tomorrow and through friday I am out until 4:30 pm eastern time. Those are my work hours for the week.

Save this page to your favorites/bookmarks. I will see your post and always reply.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Barry,

Fan motor should be in tomorrow via mail. Any specific directions for changing the part out? I am not sure if new motor comes with new fan blade or not?

Thanks

Justin

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Justin,

The new motor does not come with a fan blade. There is a nut on the motor shaft that screws on to hold the blade, turn it counter clockwise to remove the nut.

Unplug the refrigerator and splice the wires into your old wires. The motor should have wire nuts for that. The rest is just remove the visible screws to remove the motor.

I am on 2nd shift the rest of the week.

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, will let you know how it goes once I get it in and replaced

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome Justin, I normally will be heading out in about 2 and a half hours so you can know when I am around.

Barry