Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

I have a Top Freezer Fridge. Freezer on top works fabulous

Customer Question

I have a Top Freezer Fridge. Freezer on top works fabulous but I have noticed after milk etc went bad rather quick it is hovering around 50 deg.

Model(NNN) NNN-NNNN
Serial L72755331

I know it is old but if it is something easy to fix I am quite capable.
I just emptied it completely and let it rest outside for half a day thinking maybe coils iced up a bit.

I have now plugged it back in freezer freezing strong. Lower part just does not seem to be getting any cool air.

I just moved the setting to 7 from 8 to see if that affects anything.

Any Thoughts as to issues?? Timer, defrost switch of some kind, or may e just time to replace.

Comments?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Is the fan in the freezer operating? If yes feel around at the top of the fresh food section. Can you feel light air flow there? Also touch lightly around the light bulb area, does it feel like the light may be staying on? Do not press the light switch to check please.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fan in freezer is blowing strong. Light goes off when door closes. No air circulation in fresh food area. Light not staying on.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Mark I am not seeing a control for the freezer in the diagrams. Just to be sure I am not missing it, your model does not have a freezer temperature control seperate from the single control in the fresh food section?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only control is a freezer control a-e and a fresh food control 1-9 all in the fresh food portion. Has a power miser switch for exterior moisture. I'm thinking maybe that fresh food control may be bad. Wouldn't is control a damper or a fan for the fresh food area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One point. I just turned the fresh food control to the off position and back to on position there is something running sounds like a fan or blower. But no air blowing.
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
There is a fan at the rear that is operating. Give it about 10 minutes and it should come on.

I believe you are correct. What I would do is be sure the freezer control is set to the center of the range. That is the damper and if you have it set to maximum it will keep all of the cold air in the freezer.

The main control for the off and on for the compressor is the control in the fresh food section. That is the one that when it thinks it is cold enough shuts the refrigerator off. It is quite common when these get weak to shut the refrigerator off prematurely and the fresh food section remains too warm. All of the cold is actually produced in the freezer, then is transferred from the freezer to the fresh food section.

What I would do just to be sure there is no blockage is to turn it off and open the doors 12 hours to be sure it has melted out all it is going to melt. Turn it on and allow 12 hours for the fresh food section to become cold. The freezer will become cold much faster. If after that 12 hours the fresh food section is not cold replace the temperature control. That is the part in the fresh food section that adjustment knob is attached to. The factory part number to shop with is WR9X559. Be sure to have the refrigerator unplugged before changing that part. There is a hollow tube attached to that part. It is not exactly fragile but you will want to be gentle with that. Swap out the wires and put it together then turn it on. It is not a difficult part to change.

If you found my answer satisfactory please login if you are not already logged in and please leave an ok or better rating. If you have any questions use the reply to expert link.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much. Excellent service!!
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the opportunity Mark, it is greatly appreciated. My hours have recently changed, today I will be here about 8 more hours with a 30 minute break at some point.

Tomorrow all day and about the same hours. Through the week I will not be available until after 4pm eastern time. If you need to get back to me save this page to your favorites and return then post. I will see it, I wanted you to know my hours so you would know when to expect me if you needed me.

You have a great rest of the weekend and thank you for the bonus, that was very nice of you.

Barry