Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Maytag Neptune washer wont go into high spin. Door locks and

Customer Question

Maytag Neptune washer won't go into high spin. Door locks and runs through entire cycle but it doesn't spin fast enough. Clothes are sopping wet. Any ideas what is wrong with it? It's over 13 years old. Should we bother with repairing it?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good morning, can you guess the full model number from the tag inside the door? thanks, Bryan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

mah4000aww

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
okay perfect, now can you reach in and spin the drum by hand and tell me if you hear water sloshing around ? like theres water under the drum.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes, drun spins freely and you can hear the balancing liquid slosh.

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
Okay well its not a balancing sloshing noise , theres still water under the drum that should have drained, these wont spin up to high unless theres no water left in the drum. this sounds like its not draining completely. the first thing you need to do is check the drain pump for any obstructions. Drain Pump 22003059 Main Product ViewThere are screws you take out to remove the front panel from around the door, Take the front off and checked the drain pump get some towels ready, there will be water
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok. I will check this. I have heard this sloshing water for quite a while but the washer has always worked well before.

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
okay well hopefully this is just not emptying fully and cleaning out the pump works, if not you will need to replace the motor and motor control. (it comes in a set) Drive Motor 12002039 Main Product Viewif this is bad your looking at around $232.00 which you may not want to spend on this but thats up to you. these all fail after so many years. Maytag had to redesign them.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I had taken the hose off the back side of the pump earlier. I have now removed the other hose and got less than 3oz of water. This does not appear to be the problem.

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.

Okay well thats bad news.recheck the main control board up in the control panel. look for burnt diodes in the spot I marked with a arrow, if these are not burned then the motor and control board has failed. If the door lock is working and everything else then its the motor assembly. I really hate giving bad news sorry. If you want to order this heres a link. parts thanks and best wishes, Bryan

graphic

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok, so there are no burn marks on the diodes, the door locks and everything else works. It does sound like the motor is spinning back and forth but it will never reach a full spin. Are you saying that it is possible for the motor to work up until the point of high spin and then fail?

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
yes , you would need to replace the part I showed you. I'm not sure its worth spending that much though. Thats up to you but thats the issue. sorry for the bad news. hope this helps though, thanks and have a great weekend ! Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hello Bryan,

We ordered,received and replaced the motor as you suggested. This failed to work. We still have the same problem. What do we do now?

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
Wow really, mmm I'm at a loss to be honest. Unless the bearing is causing this theres not much else, The door locks and you said the boards were good no burn marks. or bad resistors ? you check the part where I put an arrow?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
and they were good not distorted at all ? I hope you bought the motor at the link I sent you they will take it back.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

OK. Well the bearing moves well, the door locks, there aren't any burn marks and the new motor doesn't solve the problem either. I guess we'll call it a day and go shopping. UGH!. We did buy the motor at the link and are very happy that we can return it. Thanks again for your help. Any recommendations on which appliance to buy ... so you can retire in peace?

Expert:  Bryan replied 9 months ago.
If your looking for a front load I would go whirlpool they are a lot less trouble, thats what I have. thanks and sorry it didn't work , have a good night, thanks , Bryan