The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

Why does my maytag centennial top loader leave lint all over

Why does my maytag centennial top loader leave lint all over my clothes, especially dark colours?

Hi Renee. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

Are you using a clothes dryer to dry the clothes with, or are you air drying them on a clothes line?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Air drying on clothes line

Renee, Im sorry to tell you, but that is your problem.

Washing machines used to have filters in them that would trap the lint. With the advent of the modern day clothes dryer the lint trap became a thing of the past. The manufacrturers discovered that it was much more efficient to let the dryer pull the lint off of the clothes than to let folks remove it in the wash cycle.

In addition to this it was determined that the lint filter was unsafe to have in the washers. Too many people were using the washer to rinse off the little bits of lint with the unit running. Many people were maimed by the agitator when they stuck their arm into it.

I really hate to tell you this as I'm sure you prefer the nice smell that air drying your clothes give them, not to mention the savings on your energy bill.

You can try tossing in a couple tennis balls to help catch the lint. it will help quite a bit actually. The fuzzier the tennis ball the more lint it will grab.

Please let me know if you have any other concerns. If not please select a positive rating. It will not close your questoion and you may ask all the followup questions you like after rating my service.

Thank you.

Best, Smitty