Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Dehumidifier not working

Dehumidifier not working
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

If the fan is working and the compressor is not running the compressor relay may be bad. Normally if the fan is running then power should be sent to the compressor as well. You should check the wires to the compressor relay for 120 volts to see if you are getting power there. You should see two power wires going to the relay that is mounted on the side of the compressor. If there is no power there you may just need a new relay. Worst case scenario would be a compressor and then the unit would be not worth repairing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The only way I can get power to the relay is if I short the leads going to the sensor attached to the insulated line.

After I do that the compressor comes on and runs but it doesn't seem to get the coils cool enough to condense out any water
Sounds like your unit is low on freon, a leak likely. That would be a gonner I am afraid to say. You have done all youl really can