The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

My 24-yr-old Hotpoint WLW3700B "extra large capacity" washer

My 24-yr-old Hotpoint WLW3700B "extra large capacity" washer recently developed a loud rattle during the agitation phase. I called for service & repairman said transmission & ???????? were going out & were the source of the metallic rattling and pump was weak & all could be replaced but expensive $6-700 & he's replaced these parts before on these old washers & then motor goes out & it would be cheaper to buy new. However he also said new top loaders were not as good as the old ones, much less water, I wouldn't be happy w/one, should consider front loader, they are better, but more expensive. He doesn't sell appliances but is authorized service person with good reputation for many brands, so I tend to believe him. So looked on line & note that Sears sells some apparently old-style traditional top loaders but only in the "small" capacity range. Googled capacity of mine & got answers of from 3.0 to 3.8 cu ft. I'd like to replace w/same thing but larger capacity but don'tknow if that's possible. Also was just about convinced that front loader is better & then read that it doesn't do small loads well. Also apparently have to buy special expensive detergent for "hi-efficiency" machines of both kinds. Any advice on simplest, least expensive way to replace washer w/one of equal or larger capacity whether top or front loading, would be appreciated. I'm interested in one which has on/off, hot/cold, maybe gentle/regular--my needs are VERY simple! Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

If you want a washer that is going to last you a lonfg time try and find someone that is selling a whirlpool direct drive model.

They are basic nothing fancy units that are easy to repair and hardly ever go out. This is the machine that made the Maytag guy so lonely.

Unfortunately they do not make these any more so if you find one grab it!!

In the mean time here is a great unit. It has mixed reviews, but I have not seen many coming through here so that says a lot.

Please click here to view it.

Please let me know if you need anything else. If not please rate my service.

Thank you.

Best, Smitty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX your answer. I really don't know where I would find a used washer around here! I took a brief look at the link and found it at Sears, which does deliver here (at an additional cost). Most of the reviews are 5 stars, but there were some truly terrible reviews--many of which are the same: they don't like the fact that there is no "hot" setting, that it takes an hour to wash clothes, that the lid locks during the agitation phase, and it's NOISY. All of which I don't think I'd like either, but the good reviews either people like the locking lid & the water temp control and don't mention how long it takes, some say it's quiet--guess that's relative. It does say it's 3.4 cu ft, and since I can't find out what the capacity of my existing washer is, I don't know if it's larger or smaller. My main concern is that it be no SMALLer than what I have. Can you help with this?

I think so, Janine. Give me a few minuets to check with the tech site.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay

Janine, you are going to be losing .4 cubic feet with the new unit. That equals about one shirt or pair of slacks.

To go to the next larger size model you are looking at increasing the price about $200.00 because it becomes a large capacity unit.

As for the unit being noisey it is because they are placing it on wood floors that are not backed by concrete directly. This unit does not do well on second floors or floors with subfloors or basements.

If this is what you have I will find you another unit.

Just let me know.

Best, Smitty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it's on a wooden floor over a crawl space. And I'd like to have a larger capacity washer than the one I have. (Also, I don't "stuff" but I put a lot more than 9 shirts or pants in my washer at one time--how can 0.4 cu ft be one shirt or one pair of pants?)I'm skittery about the whole "high efficiency" bit, too, I read lots of complaints about this. The repairman that came here also recommended Whirlpool as the best, XXXXX XXXXX second, from the repair standpoint. I'd love to have help narrowing it down! Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX forward to hearing back from you again.

No problem. It will take me a bit to find one that matches your needs.

The repairman is correct. I also recommend Whirlpool and Maytags. FYI they are the same company now. All under the Whirlpool flag.

As for the .4, think of it like this. .6 cubic feet is just about the same size as a one gallon milk jug. If you get a shirt wet and wad it up tight how big is it?

The high efficency issue is due to the lower amount of water that the unit uses. People tend to freak out when they hear that the unit is going to use less water percycle. They equate clean clothes with large volumes of water. This is a total misconception. You really do not need that much water to get clothes clean. It is the detergent and the action of the unit that gets the clothes clean.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay, let me give you free rein to recommend what you think is the most economical way for me to get the simplest possible best possible washing machine with a washing capacity equal to or bigger than the one I have. I just want to be able to wash clothes on cold, and towels on hot, for less agitation time if they are not very dirty and more time if they are very dirty. I will back off all my ideas of what is a good idea and what is a bad idea. I don't need bells & whistles, but I do need a new washer and I'm increasingly resigned to adapting to the present technology. I should say, however, that I'm the kind of person who buys a new car when necessary but doesn't want the first year of a new design!

I look forward to receiving your recommendations.

Okay here is one that meets your requirements, but it is a bit pricy.

Let me know if this doesnt work for you and Ill try again.

Please click here to view the unit.

Experience: 30 years repairing appliances