Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

My Sub-Zero, Model 211RFD, #14 has the following problems: 1)

My Sub-Zero, Model 211RFD, #14 has the following problems:
1) A thick (1-1 1/2") layer of ice forms in the bottom of the ice-maker tray. I clean it out and it forms again within a few hours. It still makes ice cubes.
2) The motor runs noisily and almost constantly.
3) Last night I put a small bowl of vegetables uncovered in water into the refrigerator on the bottom shelf, just above the vegetable drawers. The water froze solid. Nothing else seems to be freezing.
4) Vegetables in the two drawers and fruit and vegetables left uncovered on the shelves above "dry out" quickly. Wrinkle and shrink.
5) Ice cream only gets medium hard. Soft enough to (too) easily put a spoon into.

Are these problems fixable and is the unit "worth" fixing?

Thanks so much,
ELoise
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 1 year ago.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..besides the ice cream are other things freezing ok? have you regularily cleaned the condenser? are there any ice balls or frost on the rear panel of the fridge section? thx

Customer:

Hi Randy, Thank you for your questions. Besides the ice cream other things are freezing just fine. This machine is new to me; I've just moved into a condo which had it already. I cleaned the top part of the machine, the part behind the grill. I removed the grill and things were pretty good up there already. No ice balls nor frost on the rear panel of the fridge section. I checked the freezer and there are none there either.

Randy 43 :

If temps are freezing a new cold control in the fridge section will improve things slightly , but that is a older sub zero, 25 plus years old ,what happens is the insulation and tubing starts to corrode ,the compressor draws higher amperage and works harder to maintain the same temps ..everything just runs harder and less efficient being 25 yrs old ..sub zero fridges are good fridges but they dont last forever..changing the control will help it a little but it still has the other issues , insulation is not something that can be repaired, tubing can be replaced as well as new compressor ,if you really like fridge , a complete rebuild can be done for $2500 -$3000 , new sub zero's can run $12 -$16 K..

Customer:

Randy,

Customer:

Randy, Thanks again. Twenty-five years is a long time to have worked to keep things cold! I'm curious what you think is making the ice meld

Customer:

(sorry) the ice melt in the tray? Honestly, I'm not all that fond of the fridge. Small capacity is one of the things that's not making it all that attractive to me. I can't imagine putting $3500 to $3000 into it. Still, I'm curious about the ice melting. Any ideas?

Randy 43 :

ice maker is the same age , the freezer has to maintain a certain temp for the icemaker cubes to stay frozen , but also you may have a weeping water valve , the valve has to shut off after the icemaker calls for water .if it doesnt ? then you get water leaking into the ice bin

Randy 43 :

and freezing into a big ice cube

Randy 43 :

weeping valves can happen with newer fridges , 25 yr old fridges are more common

Customer:

Bingo. A leaking water valve makes sense to me because it seems to be filling up around the perfectly formed ice cubes. So interesting and I never would have guessed it.

Randy 43 :

that is what i think as well i see that quite often with all makes and models

Customer:

And is all of that also what's causing the veggies and fruit to shrink and wrinkle?

Customer:

Really! All makes and models. So interesting.

Randy 43 :

shrinking and wrinkle is due to a not even temps . sometimes too cold , sometimes not coming on , just no average temperature ..insulation and a inefficient compressor

Customer:

Wow. You've done an amazing and thorough job of answering my concerns. I really appreciate your attention to detail, Randy. This may be an unfair question, but do you have any makes of refrigerators to go toward or to stay away from? My normal thing to do is to go to Consumer Reports.

Randy 43 :

ive seen weeping valves on 1-2 yr old fridges ..it happens , but temps in freezer are key as well

Customer:

By "temps in freezer" do you mean that it's important that the freezer maintains a constant and the right temperature?

Customer:

Maybe "weeping valves" (love the term!) is a reason to buy the extended warranties.

Randy 43 :

now a days you can get replacement fridges for subzero's, before they had the market cornered ..I like the Kitchenaide and Samsung fridges myself from a repair point of view ..but yes as well to your temp in the freezer question ..it has to maintain a proper temp

Customer:

Thanks so much. I'll start looking at Kitchenaides and Samsungs. Have you any questions for me?

Customer:

Oh, any kinds you

Customer:

(oops) that you'd avoid?

Randy 43 :

no questions for you ..lol you have to ask me questions

Customer:

:) So, any makes that you find are troublesome?

Customer:

Also, are you saying that there are rebuilt Sub-Zeros?

Randy 43 :

avoid ? not really ,all the manufacturers seem to have ironed out there glitches

Randy 43 :

no rebuilt sub zero's , unless you get your own rebuilt ..but it is always better to go brand new with all new parts and warranty ..

Customer:

Agreed!

Randy 43 :

we agree

Customer:

:) This is my first experience with just answer and you

Customer:

you've done a great job. I think that I'm ok to let you get on with someone else.

Randy 43 :

remember you can ask me questions any time ,our session never ends until your are satisfied

Customer:

I'm satisfied. Do I just hit Reply and say thank you again and hope that you have a good weekend?

Customer:

I've enjoyed working with you.

Customer:

OK. I'll rate and say Good night.

Randy 43 :

you just complete ratings , and thats it , but you can still respond after you rate me ,its nice to work with you as well ,its been a rough few days : <

Customer:

Sorry to hear that. Seems as if lots of folks are experiencing "stormy weather" in their lives. Maybe it's the solstice and the full moon. In any case, I hope things continue to improve for you!

Customer:

I'll "see" you again I'm sure.

Customer:

My name is Eloise.

Randy 43 :

thx , and i think your right , its nice to meet somebody as nice as yourself , i know people are stressed nowadays , i hope you have a great weekend Eloise ..

Customer:

Thanks. And, be well.

Randy 43 :

take care

Customer:

And run with people who look on the bright side. Sure works for me!

Randy 43 :

good advice ..hard to find nowadays lol

Customer:

I avoid the people who tell me that the world is going to "hell" and who watch too much of the news on TV. Not that it's not important to be informed, just not overwhelmed. I don't even have a TV. The ads and the news and most of the shows depress me. And I don't need all that stuff which the advertisers tell me will make me happy. Enough of my sermonizing.

Customer:

Just remember, there are those of us out there who are trying to make a positive difference, many of us and we don't make the headlines. Oops. Is that a sermon tone? Now I'll let you go. Again, be well, dear friend.

Randy 43 :

Tell you the truth Eloise , Ive been pretty down the last few days on this Site on my extra time , everybody has been so negative , i really appreciate speaking you today , brings some positive to the situation , i wasnt going to log on today , but im glad i did ,you are my first cust today and im already in a better place ..thank you for making me be positive again

Customer:

You are so welcome. I'm delighted that you logged on and that I got you!

Randy 43 :

i should be paying you !! thx Eloise

Customer:

I also admire all of your wisdom in regards XXXXX XXXXX You make me laugh. You've probably saved me a lot of money; I might have been tempted to put bandaids on my Sub-Zero and spent a fortune and then had to buy a new fridge. So, we both made out well!

Randy 43 :

thx for starting my friday nite off on a good note

Customer:

Welcome. Now I promise to log off. Have a good night!

Randy 43 :

you too ..

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert