Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Kenmore icemaker does not make ice. LED is not on. When I depress

Customer Question

Kenmore icemaker does not make ice. LED is not on. When I depress light switch 3 times, close door for 10 seconds then open it LED is on steady for 5 seconds then goes out. I have replaced the icemaker unit but still no ice
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have the model number so I can better assist you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

106 51562102

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay perfect ! Give me a few minutes to look up this model and I will be back shortly, thanks, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Okay I am going to have you try a hard restart for the emitter/receiver. That's the electronic eye. Unplug the refrigerator for 5 minutes and allow this to reset. Plug it back in and check the emitter/receiver when you open the door it should be blinking, straight across from the blinking light there is a flap with a hole in it, without covering the hole press the flap in, does the light stay on steady then ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay, got tied up. I'll try your suggestion and get back to you

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay no problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Test resulted in following: open freezer door LED blinked 3 times, pause, 3 times again, then no light

Holding flap down gave no light

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay that's what I thought, the ice maker emitter/receiver is what controls the ice maker, the old style had an arm that one up and down to shut the ice maker off when your ice bin was full, the emitter/ receiver does the same thing only it uses an electronic eye, you need to replace that.Ice Level Control Board(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product ViewYou can ordered at the following link, http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Ice-Level-Control-Board/4389102/921526?modelNumber=106.51562102?RCAID=1000065 I Recommend This company highly , They give a full year warranty and return policy even if the part has been installed. Its risk free, but I am 100% sure that this is your issue. I hope this helps thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's what I've been thinking also. I assume emitter/receiver are both circuit boards, one containing the emitter, the other containing the receiver. If so, these guys are pricey. Also, will I be charged before I order/install these boards?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Once you rate me three or above I will receive credit for helping you, by no means does this close to this question however, you can come back any time and ask more questions if you need to. I know these refrigerators very well and I know the problem is the emitter/ receiver I'm confident about that. Also the site I gave you will let you returned as if by any stretch of the imagination it didn't work but I know it will. And yes they are two pieces, one goes on the right side with the red light in the other straight across from that with that flap is. Remembered to one plug the refrigerator while doing this, they're very easy to install they just plug in, remove the two Phillips head screws and they come out. Thanks very best wishes and I will always be here if you need more help, Well wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Follow up to your suggestions. I installed emitter & receiver boards. I know get a 2x blink with a pause. When I close the emitter board the LED remains on steady. This was about 2 hours ago. Do I need to do anything else or just wait it out.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
No thats it, if it stays on steady its good. you just have to wait until it makes ice now. It hasn't made any yet ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No evidence of any activity from ice maker. There is no water in tray, but I know water system works ok as I saw water flowing into tray. I'm wondering if I have to maybe jump start it. I can slide out ice maker and remove cover and jump "T" & "H" without unplugging anything

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
you can jump it with the T&H but once it starts you have to pull the wire after about 10 seconds and then get the ice maker back in before it calls for water which is tough but can be done. try that. see if it cycles.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your help. I jumped the new unit with no success, so I re-installed my old unit and jumped it. IT WORKS!!!

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
wow thats strange ! I wonder if the plug was loose, anyway send the unit back and get a refund if the old one works ! have a great 4rth of July.thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for all your assistance. FYI, on the new unit there was not a clip on the wire harness connector to fasten to the housing which made it difficult to connect to the fridge connector. I used my old harness.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
oh okay, Good job, have a great 4th ! thanks, Bryan