Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

While attempting to replace oven bulb in my GE JBS55DMW range,

While attempting to replace oven bulb in my GE JBS55DMW range, loud pop and all power is lost. Is there a reset switch or do I need to call repair?

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good afternoon, Do none of your burners work at all ? I believe you mean all power went out that the clock went blank is that correct ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, all power to the unit is out and nothing is working.

Okay, do you have circuit breakers or fuses in your home ? have you check those yet ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do have breakers and have not checked them as yet. I will do so now.

okay I think you tripped a breaker.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I checked the breaker, it is not thrown. I did flip it off, waited about 20 seconds, and turned it back on. The range is still out.

okay, shut the breaker off and pull the range away from the wall and unplug it. check the cord where it connects to the range. see if it burned a pot off the terminal block. also check the wall plug and see if that is burned inside. just make sure the power is still shut off. when you checked the breaker it should have been a double breaker was it ? usually 30 amps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is a double breaker. Will you remain on line while I do the work or do you want me to re-contact you?

yes I will be here. go ahead and do that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I took each part of the backing off and found no burn spots on any of the wires and/or the pig tail. Where the wiring comes out the back for the stove light there is some brown on that white insulation, but that could be from regular use. I looked at the wall plug and found no burned areas on it either.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do you have a volt meter ? can you check the outlet for 240 volts ? even if the clock went out on this the burners should work, sounds like a power issue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a volt/ohm meter but I do not know how to check the outlet for 240 volts. That is a above my knowledge level. I can put it all back together, then attempt to use the burners. I don't think they will work as I tried them after turning the power on and off at the breaker. I take it there is not a "reset" switch on this unit. One is not visible even with the back off.

Unfortunately theres no reset on the range itself. I'm pretty sure your not getting 240 volts though but if the burners work then you are so that wont be the issue. if the burners don't work its a power problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the help. I called the repair service, they found it to be the "mother" board that controls the oven and clock.

Oh wow okay, Have a great weekend, best wishes and thanks, Bryan