Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Microwave will not generate heat

Microwave will not generate heat
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Can you open the door and look on the side wall for the model number tag and get the model number for me ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model number: NN-T664SFX

Serial Number: 6B5-1040288

Suspect: Magnetron Tube

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Okay perfect, Although your most likely correct about the magnetron there are other things that can cause this. such as the high voltage transformer,a door switch, the high voltage diode also. so lets see. 1st does everything sound like it running ? (fans, turntable turning, ect. ?) just no heat ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like it is running;

Table turns;

Interior light is ON;

Fan is ON

Just NO Heat

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay it sounds like a door switch is not likely the issue but if you have a volt meter you can test them. heres a link to a video on how to test them. Micro Switch 28QBP0499 Main Product View click this link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Micro-Switch/28QBP0499/469833 now the HV diode is another possibility on these. Diode THV512          Main Product View the magnetron tubes are all different and i cant bring one up for you model. so the only way to know which one you need if thats the issue is to get the part number off the magnetron. on average these magnetron's run around $65.00 which is fairly cheap for a magnetron but they don't sell OEM parts for this. their after market.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I get the number of the magnetron?

Do I have to dis-assemble the unit to get to the magnetron ?

Where do I order the part since it is still under warranty ?

Do I have to remove and install the new magnetron myself ?

Where do I send the appliance if I want it repaired ?

What is the approximate labor costs ?

Shipping costs ?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay thats different, If this is under warranty don't touch it or try to take this apart will get the info for you, this wont cost you anything to repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I purchased the microwave on June 14, 2011. The Magnetron Tube is supposed to have a 5 year warranty ( yesterday, the day the unit stopped working was June 20, 2013 ) Labor was not to be included.

Please e-mail the confirmation that there will not be any cost for this repair and instructions as to what is the next procedure that I need to follow.

Please reply.

Thank you for your assistance.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay one more thing and I can get the info you need, sorry for all the questions Sharp is a pain. What is your zip code ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Zip code: Seattle, Washington 98118

What does "SHARP" have to do with Panasonic ? Are they the "same" company ?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

sorry I meant panasonic , I have two microwave questions going ! Okay call this number to set up a service appointment. (425)(NNN) NNN-NNNN they come to you. let them know its under warranty. they'll help you and their 5 star rated. thanks and best wishes, Bryan

Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bryan,

Unfortunately _ the company you recommended does not do any repair work. and, there are no appliance companies that do "warranty work" on Panasonic microwaves in the 98118 or 98005 zip code areas.

It appears that I will have to pay for the magnetron tube and labor.

Estimates are approximately $150 for the tube and $75 for labor if I take the microwave to the repair company.

It may be better to buy another microwave. ( not Panasonic )

Sorry, I cannot use your advice.