Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

We have a Maytag over the range microwave hood combination

We have a Maytag over the range microwave hood combination Model # XXXXX Purchased the end of December 2009. To us it is still very new as it is only used for a few things like heating up something. Out ot the blue it will beep and shows a code 5E or SE. We researched this as we cannot afford to bring a technician in and it says to unplug and wait, replug and reset clock etc. It will work for a short time and start all over again. I really cannot afford to buy a new one as it is built in over the stove and not just on a cart. Do you have any idea at all what my husband can do to rectify this problem. It really is in good condition other than this issue.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today.

Good evening. this is the most common microwave error. It mean the key pad (touch pad) is bad. One of the keys is sticking causing the error. the first thing to try is take a hair dryer on low heat and warm up the keypad massaging the keys with your fingers. its usually moisture in one of the keys. if that doesn't work you will need to replace the keypad. what color is yours? black white stainless ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks you for the suggestion we will try that and hope it works. The microwave is black. How long should we run the hair dryer?

just run the hair dryer over it back and forth for about 15 minutes massaging the keys as you go. I hope it works for you , the key pad is $88.00 at this link. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-number/W10258188/0022/664&pathTaken=partSearch&blt=14&prst=0&shdPart=W10258188 thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much Bryan. We went to try the hair dryer recommendation and right now the microwave is in the working stage so as soon as it goes to the error code we will try that. Also you have recommended a replacement key pad at Sears. My husband wanted to know how do you know that is the one for this machine as it doesn't say online which microwave it is for and do we need a keypad or a control panel?? Sorry, this isounds so very confusing,I am relaying back and forth.

yes this is the one for your microwave. Sear's doesn't have a picture but heres one.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
that should be yours, the part number is W10258188 and its just the keypad that plugs in.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
hope the easy fix works for you

Register Here
, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay if the hair dryer doesn't work we will order that part.

Thanks, I will get back to you if we need more assistance. Have a good evening.

your welcome, have a great night ! good luck thanks , Bryan