Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

sears kenmore 253.565 29400: My freezer is only 38 degrees.

My freezer is only 38 degrees. It appears the coils are frozen
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good evening, if you open the freezer and look at the back wall is there frost on it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, a litle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, a little

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
sorry having computer issues, okay can you take the panel out ? I need you to check the frost pattern on the coils.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The entire top of the condensor all around the defrost timer switch is frozen

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
only the top or all the coils ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

only the top

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

only the top

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

I'm not getting your reply quickly sorry site issues, anyway thats not good , all the coils should be frosted lightly. it means your freon is low, you cant do the freon yourself however unless you are certified and have the equipment. when the freons low you don't get enough coils cold to get down to temp. sorry for the bad news. Bryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a hard time believing that the freon is low. That would mean there is a leak. This is a closed system.

Maybee the defrost timer is defective.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I wish I had better news but there is a leak, even sealed systems leak.If this were a defrost issue all the coils wold have frost, in your case theres not enough freon in the system to frost all the coils, the freon comes into the top of the coils is this and works its way down. when only the top is frozen its a freon leak and its low, Believe me I've seen this a lot. I wish i could tell you different but I'd be lying
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so the answer is to inject some freon in the system. What about possible leak?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
you would need to find and fix the leak before recharging, check all the copper tubing comming from the compressor and up in the freezer. believe me this is the issue, if you want try defrosting all the coils and then let it run overnight and check it in the morning but I'll bet it will look the same only the top frosted. thanks , Bryan