Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

sears kenmore 253.565 29400: My freezer is only 38 degrees.

My freezer is only 38 degrees. It appears the coils are frozen

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

Good evening, if you open the freezer and look at the back wall is there frost on it ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, a litle

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, a little

sorry having computer issues, okay can you take the panel out ? I need you to check the frost pattern on the coils.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The entire top of the condensor all around the defrost timer switch is frozen

only the top or all the coils ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

only the top

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

only the top

I'm not getting your reply quickly sorry site issues, anyway thats not good , all the coils should be frosted lightly. it means your freon is low, you cant do the freon yourself however unless you are certified and have the equipment. when the freons low you don't get enough coils cold to get down to temp. sorry for the bad news. Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a hard time believing that the freon is low. That would mean there is a leak. This is a closed system.

Maybee the defrost timer is defective.

I wish I had better news but there is a leak, even sealed systems leak.If this were a defrost issue all the coils wold have frost, in your case theres not enough freon in the system to frost all the coils, the freon comes into the top of the coils is this and works its way down. when only the top is frozen its a freon leak and its low, Believe me I've seen this a lot. I wish i could tell you different but I'd be lying
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so the answer is to inject some freon in the system. What about possible leak?

you would need to find and fix the leak before recharging, check all the copper tubing comming from the compressor and up in the freezer. believe me this is the issue, if you want try defrosting all the coils and then let it run overnight and check it in the morning but I'll bet it will look the same only the top frosted. thanks , Bryan