The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I have a hairline crack on my Bosch glass stove top. Can it

I have a hairline crack on my Bosch glass stove top. Can it be repaired?

If it cannot be repaired, can I still use the burner with the hairline crack?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.
I am sorry but the crack can not be repaired. If you like pour some super glue intop the crack and let it dry. Scrape off any excess with a sharp single edge razor. This will help keep water and grease out of the crack.
You can use the burner but be careful not to spill anything into the crack. Even while cleaning be careful to keep the crack from getting any water into it. a damp cloth is ok but not soaking wet.
Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.
If not pleas select a positive rating. It will not close the question and you may ask all the follow up questions you like after rating my servoce.
Thank you.
Best, Smitty
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - i will try the super glue solution. Also i turned on the burner and it goes on, but after a while the digital number that shows the heat level starts blinking. What does that mean?

Liz, may I have the units model number please? If your unit is an induction type you may have to replace the glass before you can continue using it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's no model number on the stove top. I purchased the house with the unit installed and I don't have the user manual. There are 5 burners: a large one on the left (that's the one with the hairline crack) and smaller burner to the right and 3 small burners above these. Hope that helps.
Unfortunately it doesnt. Have a look at the bottom of the stove top. There should be a manufacturers label there. If it isnt there look on the sides. Use a flashlight if you need to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I found it. NES935UC/01
Great! One moment please.
Just got the service manual fgrom the tech site. Give me a minuet to look through it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay.
Sorry for the wait, Liz. I needed to check and make sure that there wasnt a sensor or something that detects cracks in th esurface.
As long as the unit is not displaying a fault code you are ok to use the unit. There is no mention of the digital display flashing. What is causing it Im not sure. It may be possible that when the crack was made it affected the display. The only way to resolve something like that would be to replace the whole control board. That is a very expensive part to replace Im asfraid to say.
Please let me know if you have any other concerns. If not please select a positive rating.
Thank you.
Best, Smitty
Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your help. I figured it would be quite expensive to replace. Hopefully the super glue will help for a while. Thanks again.
You are most welcome. Have a great day! =)