Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

The refrigerator light does not come on, switch is sticking,

Customer Question

The refrigerator light does not come on, switch is sticking, it works when we pull out on it. Also the in door water supply takes 25 seconds to start flowing. Also the ice machine isn't making ice???
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

can you get us the model number so we can better assist you ? there should be a tag inside the refrigerator section either on the side wall or the ceiling .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

LSC27950ST

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay this is the light switch, Light Switch 6600JB3007E Main Product Viewas you know, You need to replace it, it runs around $6.00 at this link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Light-Switch/6600JB3007E/1268250?modelNumber=LSC27950ST?RCAID=1000065 Now on to the ice maker. Is the ice maker cycling ? (the fingers turning)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I pulled and pushed on them, they wont turn

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay you cant turn them by hand they are geared to the motor. What position are they in ? up,down.straight across? you can tell me by saying 1 oclock 2 oclock 3 and so fourth.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would say 1:00 or 11:00 depending on your perspective

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
in this position ? also the switch on the side is on correct ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, and the switch is on

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Are the lights on the ice maker lit up ? Sorry for all the questions, theres a couple of things that can cause this not to make ice, 1 of course is the ice maker has failed, 2 the plastic fill tube in the freezer that puts water into the ice maker is frozen and 2 the fill vale has failed. first you need to know if the ice maker is cycling. try turning the switch off and then back on. does this make any kind of noise or movement when you first switch it back on ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No noise or movement from icemaker and the green light is on

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay , well its down to 2 things then. the tube that feeds the water is frozen (take a hair dryer and defrost it) or the valve has failed, Water Inlet Valve 5221JA2006D Main Product Viewyou can test the valve by watching the video at this link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Water-Inlet-Valve/5221JA2006D/1266849?modelNumber=LSC27950ST?RCAID=1000065 if its bad you can order it there, hope this helps, thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
one more thing. is your shut off arm down ? graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, it stays up

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay can you push it down or is it stuck and wont move ? these are supposed to stay up only when the bin is full of ice so it wont overflow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can push it down

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay great ! put it down and leave it. it should make ice then .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It wont stay down, just pops back up

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
mmm, okay. stick your finger into the ice maker and see if you feel ice in it that didn't eject.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No ice in it

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay unfortunately its the ice maker thats failed mid cycle.you will need to order and replace it. sorry for the bad news. Heres a link to order it. Icemaker just click that blue link. thanks and best wishes, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Back Again, Do you have any advice on how to allow more slack in the 4 water lines going from the valve to the refrig. I pulled on them and they don't seem to want to pull out allowing me to work on it easier? Also how do you access the switch for light?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Your talking about the line from the house ? the one that connect the water ? heres a diagram of the light switches, they are both the same just reverses on the refrigerator door side, theres a cap you need to remove, there should be screws where the arrows are.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On the inlet valve there are 4 water lines coming from the bottom going into the refrigerator, they will not pull out to allow me easy access to working on it to replace it, very little working space unless I could pull them out some. The diagram you sent of the switch is very poor, cant make out what anything is.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Try this click on this blur link, diagrams maybe this will help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No luck

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry how do you mean ?no luck opening the diagrams ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, could not find the upper hinge assembly, or any info on the water lines to gain slack

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
this diagram is for the right side hinge and switch.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, I figured out the switch problem, now the "no slack" at the inlet valve?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay , As far as the inlet valve goes you can get it out enough to disconnect it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm still waiting on advice about getting more slack on the 4 water lines going to the inlet valve, is this even possible?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Do you have enough room to push the collars in and pull the lines out ? the way these come out is you push the little ring collars in and pull the lines out. maybe if you can get the shortest line out it will come out enough to get the rest. these are the collars.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here