The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

We have just bought a Whirlpool Washing Machine Model AWM 355

Customer Question

We have just bought a Whirlpool Washing Machine Model AWM 355 - 600rpm, in Thailand. The Machine is manufactured in PRC; the Instruction Booklet is in Thai language.
At installation we removed the large Transit Screw from the bottom back of the machine, but the Instruction leaflet appears to show 1 or possibly 2 other screws at the top back.

Can you please say how many Transit Screws are fitted, and their exact position ?
Would be grateful for your help, Alan
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.

Transit bolts for front loading units are positioned at 10, 2, and 6 o'clock at the back of the unit. The bolts coincide with the outline of the wash drum.

If there are holes that match the positions like the bolt you took out already then the bolts have been removed.

Sometimes a unit will be taken out and put on display or tested, and the bolts will be removed for that purpose. The top bolts are difficult to get back in so they may not have been replaced .

Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

Best, Smitty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX need advice from a Whirlpool fitter/technician. There is only one obvious Transit Screw, at 6 o'clock - when released, it withdraws as a 20" brass/metal rod. There are no other similar fitments at all.

On the "Spin" cycle, the drum vibrates violently, which suggests there is/are other Transit fixing(s), as the machine is not overloaded, is on a level surface, &c. I think we must ask a Whirlpool guy who is familiar with this model. Alan

Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m Michelle a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of our professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Michelle~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We have spoken to technician at Whirlpool Thailand, who has identified a

fixing plate at 12 o'clock on the machine, which we have removed. The machine is now operating OK.

I realise that washing machines have different fixings/Transit Screws depending on the maker/model, and Mr. Smitty gave us general advice, but it was not specific to the Whirlpool machine and model we quoted.