Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

Side-by-side Whirlpool WSG 5588 A+WWater started to flow

Side-by-side Whirlpool WSG 5588 A+W Water started to flow slowly up to total stop within few weeks and naturally no ice is produced... Incoming water pipe and water pressure is OK Water filter relatively new, ~ 8 months... Can be the water system be frozen within the fridge? Thanks!

Hello, Thank you for using this service, I will be helping you with your problem today

The electronic fill valve in the refrigerator is 99 % the cause in most cases. there is a possibility the water chiller inside the refrigerator section could be frozen however,pull the crisper drawer out and you will see it mounted on the back wall, take a hair dryer and try thawing it out checking the water in the door as you go. let me know if that works, thanks , Bryan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Bryan,

where exactly is the valve?

Is it behind the 2 bottom drawers on the bottom of the fridge?

and how it looks like?

thanks for advice

Okay well the valve is in the back where the water line form your home connects, the water chiller tank is inside the refrigerator behind the crisper drawer. your valve will be similar to this one . color may vary.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I recently heated up the valve as well as the chilling area behind both plastic drawers.

few drops came out ...

anything else where it can be frozen?

heating up the valve wont do anything unfortunately, how long did you heat the chiller ? A few drops came out of the dispenser or the ice maker ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

15 minutes the back behind the drawers (also the area behind via the plastic grill)
and simultaneously the back of the door where the icemaker is

the valve in the back was warm as the fan is heating it and there is a pretty hot area...

okay , well my feeling is the valve is bad but these usually only fail on one side at a time. (there are two solenoids, on for ice and one for water in the door)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when I push the water dispenser button, I can hear a whispering sound from the back..

there is a "stream" of the water for less then a second delivering s small spoon of the water... and then it dries...

and after 5 minutes another few drops...

okay the thing that bothers me is you say this isn't making ice either. thats unusual. they come from different sides of the valve and the ice maker doesn't go through the chiller in the refrigerator.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can it be the filter

any way to test the filter?

or bypass?

you can remove the filter and it usually automatically bypasses it. it the filter in the grill just under the freezer drawer ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when I removed the filter the same amount of the water (next to nothing, few drops...) flows out...

I suggest changing the valve at this point, I cant think of anything else at this time. Sorry. I wish I could. thanks, Bryan