The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances

I obtained an older whirlpool washer that works fine with the

Customer Question

I obtained an older whirlpool washer that works fine with the spinning and such but it will not fill with water. When I first hooked it up, it did a perfect load...filled,washed,soaked,drained and spun dry. I emptied machine,pushed the knob...turned it and pulled it out. Nothing no fil! I. Cleaned the screens on water hoses both ends...where do I go now
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.
What is the model number of your unit, please?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is a LA 5200 X TWO?

Okay, Mara. What you need to do is find out if there is voltage going to the water valve.
To do this you will need a volt meter (home depot less than 20 bucks) a flat head screw driver, a phillips head screw driver, and a little bit of muscle (My mom could do this if she had to and she is 70+).
To access the water valve you need to remove the cabinet from the washer....... Mara, it is not hard to do!
Please click here to view a video that will show you step by step how to do this.
Once you have the cabinet off the valve is right there and easy to get at.
Disconnect the wire connectors going to the inlet valve and then tip the control panel back down. Start a regular load and then test between each set of wires with the volt meter. You should have 120 volts AC. If not replace the timer. If you have voltage replace the valve.
There are videos on youtube that show you how to replace the timer. Just search youtube for whirlpool timer repair.
The parts fopr your unit are very common and are available locally or from
Please let me know if you need anythiong else. I will be happy to assist you further.
If not please be sure to rate my service. Rating will not close the question and after rating you may ask all the follow up questions you like.
Thank you.
Best, Smitty