Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

What is the age & capacity of the Kenmore washer dryer?

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.

Hello again, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

First, the dryer. I believe you missed a number on your model. Either way, the model should be 417.94252500. This product appears to have been manufactured September of 2005.

This dryer is 7.0 cu. ft Next the washer. This product appears to have been manufactured February of 2006. This washer is 3.0 cu. ft.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How much is the difference in load of dryer (7 cubic feet & 7.3 cubic feet) and washer of (3 cubic feet & 4.6 cubic feet)? I am trying to figure out how much laundry I can do in 1 load. Ideally I would like to do min load of 3 queen beds at a time. Which includes fitted sheet, top sheet & 3 pillow cases each. Is this washer dryer considered a energy efficient one and is it a good series that might last me a while? I am buying this used for one of my apt rentals. Thank you

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
So the dryer size is really not going to change a whole lot, but the washer cycle will make a big difference. There is no way you'd be able to do 3 queen beds at the same time in a 3 cu ft washer, it would be hard enough to do in a 4.6 cu ft washer. That kind of load is really designed to be done in an industrial machine at a laundry mat. These machines are only designed to handle one set of sheets at a time if they are king size, so you might be able to get away with 2 sets in the 4.6 cu ft model, but certainly not in the 3 cu food model.

This dryer model is known for the front felt glide wearing out over time with use and then creating a gap where the drum seals up to the front drum support. So every 5 years or so on average use, the front glide and felt assembly will need to be replaced or else clothes get sucked into the gap and you get tearing or brown streaks on the clothes.

The washer in general is not all that reliable and is prone to having the gear drum bearing going out if you wash a lot of heavier loads like it sounds to be in your plans. Also, the door latch tends to get hit by the tub when the washer goes out of balance and the latch fails often.

I generally don't recommend these machines, but I suppose that all depends on the kind of deal you're getting on them. If you can pick up the set for less than $450, then I'd say it's a good deal.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
I'm just following up since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?