Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Kenmore microwave model 401.800xx shows -SE- and nothing else

Kenmore microwave model 401.800xx shows -SE- and nothing else works.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So lets start by explaining your error code. Error code "-SE-" is actually the most common error code that this microwave gets. It means that your touch control panel has shorted out and will need to be ordered and replaced to fix the issue. If you are handy, this is definitely something you can replace yourself. The touchpad is nothing more than a sticker with a ribbon cable connected to the control board behind the control panel.

First, start by unplugging the microwave. There should be 2 or 3 screws coming in from the top of the vent over the door. Remove these screws and pull the vent panel off. That will expose a screw over top of the control panel. Remove this screws and the control panel will pull off so that you can replace the touchpad. Now depending on the full model number (located on a sticker inside the cavity of the microwave and can be seen if you open the door), the entire plastic touch control panel is replaced as one part once you remove the control board, or the touchpad can be peeled off the plastic control panel to replace just the touch buttons. If your model sells the touchpad separately, use a knife and pry under the touchpad sticker edge to remove the touchpad. Then unplug the ribbon cable from the control board behind the control panel. Now just install the new sticker touchpad and you should be good to go again. The only good new here is that the touchpad is relatively inexpensive.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

I'm just following up to see how your appliances is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The panel came off without a problem. Went to Sears to ask how to order a new one, and was told that you just do it online nowdays. Am waiting now for it to ship. Thanks.

Ok awesome. If you need anything else, just let me know.