Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

what are some possible reasons for a maytag centennial topload

Customer Question

what are some possible reasons for a maytag centennial topload washer to not finish a cycle ... wont do a spin dry and drain ... can here a buzz sound but no movement?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X look forward to helping you! Does the water drain out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no ... had to dip it out with a cup

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. When it should be draining and spinning, is that when you hear the buzzing? May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i belive soo ... i think its towards the end of the cycles

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

have no clue where that is

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
There should be a tag under the lid, at the back of the opening to the tub.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the knob is on the spin cycle section

on the label at the back of the opening i see

mvwc6esww1

ber

c00340440

then at the bottom of that label it says ...

type 849-05

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That's it, thank you! If you open and close the lid, do you hear the lid switch clicking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes ... when i lift the lid the buzzing stops

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, one last question then we can do some more in depth investigation. Does the machine still wash and just won't spin or drain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

has far has i can tell ... yes ... i was asked to do this when i got home from work soo dont know all the details but i belive it goes through every thing but the spin cyc;e ... i can rotate the center aggitator only in one direction

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, let's take a look at a couple of things down below. The first will be the pump. If you remove the pump from the motor, can you insert a plier handle in the bearing and turn it by hand in both directions? On the RH side of th e motor is a plastic connector with wires in it. Any dark spots on that connector by any of the wires? Lastly, is the coupler in good shape? The video link below will show you how to access the coupling, pump and motor for inspection. DO NOT remove the water pump hoses. Let me know what you find.

Video <----- CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE VIDEO
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay ... no burnt color to wires or connector ... remove the pump and i can rotate the motor shaft either direction by hand

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, how about the pump? Can you manually turn the pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no pliers handy but my pocket knife blade worked ... yes ... i turns easy both ways

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, and the coupling was not broken?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

didnt remove the actual motor just the pump from the motor

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You can just feel it behind the motor, it will feel loose if it is broken. Turn it a full revolution and see if it feels loose to push up and down. Also, Take the wire connector totally off and then replace it back on the motor. If the coupler seems okay, let's go ahead and put it back together and see what happens on a spin cycle. Let me know what happens, please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay ... coupler feels tigh (no play) ... can rotate 2 or 3 rotations each direction the it will stop ... everything back on and plugged in ... pull out the knob on spin cycle to start and still get the same buzzing sound like an old electronic dryer buzzer but not as loud ... sounds like it is comeing from behind the console panel

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell if it is coming from the center, near the timer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thats kinda what i am thinking ... rotated it to the next wash cycle pulled it out and the water started to run ... pushed it back in and rotated back to the spin it had stopped on ... pulled it out and just buzzed

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so that confirms the issue is in the timer, excellent! The timer you need for your model is available below.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Timer <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Thank you for allowing me to assist you! I am happy to answer any follow up questions you may have at no additional charge.

Thank you for a positive feedback rating!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay ... put new timer in this evening ... tub fills with water then doesnt spin and get the same buzzing sound ... any other ideas

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is odd, do any of the cycles work as they did intermittently before?