Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I just bought a new home with an 8 year old thermador oven.

Customer Question

I just bought a new home with an 8 year old thermador oven. It has knobs for range but buttons for oven. I can not figure out how to raise, lower or shut off the baking mechanism and now I can not shut off the oven at all.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number by chance? If not, can you tell me the buttons that you have on your control panel, or take a picture of the control panel and use the paper clip button above the text box to attach the picture? If you don't have a button to attach the picture, you can upload the picture to Flickr.com or Photobucket.com and send me a link to the picture if you'd like.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Trying to send a photo now.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
ok, just let me know when you have it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I took a photo on phone but dont know how to send. Can I text it to you somewhere?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You can send the picture to XXXXXXX@XXXXX.XXX and they will send me the picture, but doing it that way can take up to 30 minutes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What am I waiting for?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what you mean? I see no picture yet. Until you can get me a picture or a model number, I can not help you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can not download a picture from my phone for some reason. I do not have a model number. I described all the buttons to you.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I didn't get any description of the buttons. Can you please tell me every single button you have on the control panel since you can't send me a picture or get me a model number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok there are four buttons on the left and four on the right.

Left says: convection bake

clean broil

then in the middle there are three that says:

cook

min/hr stop time clock

then on the right there are another four

a plus timer

a minus cancel

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so the oven is heating right now and you can't turn it off? You should be able to just press the cancel button to turn the unit off.

To bake, you should just need to press something like "convection bake", then press the + or - sign until you have selected the desired temperature you want. Then after 10 seconds or so the unit will start heating on it's own.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cancel doesn't work. Convection and bake are two diffrent buttons. When I press bake and then the plus or minus buttons they do not do anything to temperature.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
So it sounds like you have a bad touchpad or a bad control board then. If you press the cancel button and it beeps, then you need a new display board. If you press the cancel button and it doesn't beep, then you need a new touchpad.

You can try to turn the circuit breaker off for 60 seconds to see if the electronics will reset, but if that doesn't work--nothing will get your unit working properly without replacing the faulty part.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok my husband just found the model number. It is RDDs30

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK, thank you, but that just confirms what I've already told you. The cancel button should cancel any cycle and just revert back to the timer of day. So it sounds like you have a bad touchpad or a bad control board then. If you press the cancel button and it beeps, then you need a new display board. If you press the cancel button and it doesn't beep, then you need a new touchpad.

To bake something, you should just need to press "BAKE", then the "-" or "+" to adjust the temperature and it should heat on it's own. If it doesn't work, then that is likely just being caused by the faulty touchpad or the bad control board.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
On this model, the touchpad and display board are all one part and it's no longer made. The part number is 486752 so if it's bad, you's need to send it into a place like Appliancetimers.com to have it refurbished.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it worth doing this or shoudl I get a new oven?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It's an expensive oven and the control board costs about $200-300 to have refurbished most of the time so if it's in good condition I would think it's still worth repairing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thank you.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
no problem and I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having just moving in.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up to see how your appliances is doing since I haven't heard back from you and this question is still open. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?