Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Kenmore Elite side by side. 106.55602400.......freezer not

Kenmore Elite side by side. 106.55602400.......freezer not cold, compressor seems to be making excess noise. Fan in back / bottom of unit is turning. Compressor is warm to the touch. Unit built 11-2004
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So the freezer is not cooling, which means there is a problem with the sealed system unfortunately. The fan next to the compressor is running which means that you're down to some fairly big problems. There are 3 things that can cause this problem. You could have a freon leak, an inefficient compressor, or a bad overload relay which is cutting out the compressor. Now if the compressor is running and it's not just turning on for 2-10 seconds and cutting out for a minute or so, then there is nothing you can do but to call a technician because they need to check the freon pressure to see if you have a freon leak or an inefficient compressor.

If the compressor is cutting out every minute or two, that is a different issue. This means that your compressor is overloading.  Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator.  Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor.  There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it.  This is your overload relay.  Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it.  If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced.  If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If it is running full time and not stopping then it is the freon or compressor?

That is correct yes.