Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

My clothes washer will not drain completely, resulting in a

My clothes washer will not drain completely, resulting in a horrible mildew smell in the entire laundry/basement room. Does it require an expert or can I fix it myself? --Kim
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Hi Kim can you give me a make and model number please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, of course it's not one of your newest greatest ones. Maytag Neptune Model #MAH55FLBWW.

You could fix this your self if you are handy with tools, the likely problem is a restriction in the drain system or a broken impeller on the pump causing the machine not to drain fully.

You would need to pull the unit out from the wall, then take the panel off in the rear. Once off you will see the pump, check the drain system from the tub to the pump and from the pump to the stand pipe. Also pull out the pump and check for a restriction or blockage, clear anything found, if nothing is found then the drain pump should be replaced.

Click here to order the drain pump if needed

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.