Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have an LG washing machine that Stinks like a dead mouse

Customer Question

I have an LG washing machine that Stinks like a dead mouse at times! The smell is present on days when there is very high humidity outside and the wind is blowing from the south. The washer is located inside my house in an air conditioned room. The smell isn't coming from the drain, I've checked that. I also looked inside the back of the washer to confirm there isn't actually a dead mouse in it and there isn't. But, the smell seems to be coming from inside the guts of the washer, not the actual wash basin. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So these front load washers smelling like garbage, dead animal, or mold is probably the most common complaint for front load washers in general. That being said, it's probably a good idea to remove the screws going into the back access panel behind the washer and look around inside with a flashlight to make sure you don't have a dead animal inside. If everything checks good, then you'll want to run a few cycles with a product called "Affresh" which you can purchase at most hardware stores including Home Depot and Lowes. This is a product designed to clean out high efficiency washers because there is always water in the base of the tub left so that the seals and motors won't dry rot and seize up. That being said, you should run Affresh or at least Bleach / White Vinegar through the washer with an empty cycle at least once a month to prevent the smell from building up to the point that it is at now.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This washer is a top loading LG Model WT5101H. I have run bleach and vinegar through it. I have also removed the back panel and verified there are no dead animals inside. The problem only surfaces on very humid days. The washer is inside of my house and is in a well air conditioned space.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that this Affresh was only for front loading washers. It's for all "high efficiency" washers. You just need to run the cycle through with Affresh. Also, another good policy is to leave the lid open when the washer is not in use so that the mildew and mold won't have a really good environment to build up inside the washer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you but, everything you have mentioned are basic things I have tried and none of them have worked. Thank you for your time.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
As I said from the beginning, this is the most common complaint on these high efficiency machines. There is no way to prevent the smell completely, but there are products like Affresh designed to help combat the problem.