Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a 48" GE Monogram built in refrigerator. Model # XXXXX

Customer Question

I have a 48" GE Monogram built in refrigerator. Model # XXXXX which I purchased in late 2006. I live on a ranch in rural Nevada and cannot and have been completely unsuccessful at getting a repair technician that will help me. The refrigerator and freezer just quit cooling.

I replaced the motherboard (GE part #-WR55X10560), thinking that might be the issue since we get occasional power bumps. Replaced the motherboard yesterday, everything works perfectly but still not cooling off (fridge or freezer).

The coils are spotless, actually the entire upper enclosure where all the components are is clean. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Can you hear the compressor running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure? Don't think so, the only thing that I can hear (and see) is the fan running.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, do you have a meter to test voltage with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Excellent! There is a plastic box next to the compressor, it looks like the one below. There is a red and orange wire in a 2 prong connector. Do you read 120 VAC between those 2 wires?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Perfect. Thanks. So just double checking. Disconnect the two prong connector from and place the meter on those two wires? Sorry, I couldn't find my meter. Damn brother in law probably borrowed it and never returned it. I digress!!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I understand totally! Yes, just test for power at the red and orange. If the fans are running, it is likely going to be there. Is the compressor cold?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just to confirm since I am a little ignorant to all of the components. the compressor is the large black round thing? If this is it, it does not feel very cold.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That is correct, the large black round thing. Is it warm and vibrating?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is not warm, it is pretty much room temperature. It is not vibrating at all.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so the inverter is most likely faulty. You can confirm that by verifying there is 120 VAC to it, but if the fans are running, there is and a broken wire in the wall is unheard of on these. I would recommend replacing the inverter. The correct one for your model is available below and if you order through the link I provide, that company will allow returns on installed parts on the off chance there is another issue. I am very confident that will not be the case, though.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Inverter Assembly <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Thank you for allowing me to assist you! I am happy to answer any follow up questions you may have at no additional charge.

Thank you for a positive feedback rating!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much for the help! I pretty much have had a $6,000.00 chunk of Stainless steel stuck in my wall for the past couple of months.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I understand, they are a great fridge but when they break, they can be a nightmare! That inverter has a very high failure rate, so replacing it should get you back up and running! thank you so much for the great feedback, that is appreciated!