Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Neither the oven nor the broiler are working properly on my

Neither the oven nor the broiler are working properly on my GE Profile range
The oven's surface ignitor glows but there is no gas delivery so no flame.
The broiler, regardless of the temp setting, produces a very small flame
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

It sounds like both your oven igniters (bake and broil) inside your oven is just starting to fail and needs to be ordered and replaced. Oven igniters last about 6-8 years under normal use before they tend to start failing. They need to draw at least 3.2 amps or else they won't open the gas valve correctly and it will either crack the valve open, and not allow enough gas to come through like your broiler. It doesn't matter if the igniter is glowing or not; just because it glows doesn't mean the igniter is drawing enough power to open the safety valve. The igniter is only about a $75 part and you can replace it yourself if you want to remove the racks inside the oven and then remove the floor to access it. Otherwise it will cost about $175-195 to call someone and replace each igniter for you. Below is a link to the igniter you'd need to order.

CLICK HERE for igniter

Now if you did have an amp clamp and you determine that the igniter is drawing 3.2 amps but the valve is still not opening, the oven gas safety valve would just need to be ordered and replaced because it's not opening like it should. This is a really rare scenario, but I though I'd mention it.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I check the amperage draw?

Can I do it with a volt/ohm meter?

You can not do it with a volt/ohm meter. You need am "amp clamp". Then you clamp one of the wires going to the bake igniter and turn the oven on bake. Watch the amp draw on the clamp and if it goes to 3.2 or high then the igniter would be fine. If not, then that confirms the igniter is bad. If you don't have an amp clamp, you might as well just replace an igniter because the cost of an amp clamp would be the same as an igniter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Replaced both igniters. The oven is fixed.

However the broiler is still not functioning correctly.

The first ignition after installing the broiler ignitor resulted in a full flame.

Within 30 seconds the flame was reduced to the matchhead size.

Every test since then has resulted in the same matchhead size flames.

What are the odds a new igniter is bad or would you bet on the saftey valve being bad?

Hmm, unfortunately the safety valve would need to be replaced to fix the broiler issue I'm afraid. It really isn't likely to get the same exact issue after replacing an igniter.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

New safety valve on order from RepairClinic.

Hopefully installing the valve closes this thread

Alright, good luck to you!