Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Maytag Atlantis Dryer, Model MDG8400AWW. It is not

I have a Maytag Atlantis Dryer, Model MDG8400AWW. It is not heating. I removed the vent at the back, there is good air flow but it is not warm air.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! When you initially start the dryer, do you hear a series of clicks or just the motor starting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sounds just like it normally does.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, and no heat, even directly at the start of the cycle? Do you have a meter to test continuity with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doesn't seem to be any heat at the start. Air feels cool out the back (with the vent hose disconnected). I let it run a couple of minutes and the inside was still cool. Yes, I have a voltmeter.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Great! Unplug the dryer. Can you open the door and remove the screws on each side of the door opening and then take the front panel (number 24) off?

Once you have the front panel off, you will see the thermal fuse (number 10) pictured below mounted to the blower housing (number 13/1). Does it read continuity through it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have the front panel (24) off. I see the blower housing (13-1), how do i find the fuse?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It may be a bit hidden behind the filter housing. It looks like the picture below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

found it, continuity tester not working, will get back to you shortly

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, keep me posted, thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

(Fuse was out.) It appears to have continuity. I tested both ways--with the two wires connected and disconnected.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so you read continuity through it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, can you close the door and start the dryer and see if the igniter (number 4) glows at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Door is off, I held down the button. Don't see any glow

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, can you test to see if the igniter is getting 120 VAC when you start it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how do I do that?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
There are two wires going to the igniter. Place your probes into the connector that the igniter is plugged in to and start the dryer. Does your meter read any voltage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

have a business call, need to take a 30 min break

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sure, just reply when you can!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, back to this. I just put the probes into the holes that the wires disappear into?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Correct, just make sure the probes are making good contact with the metal connectors in the plug.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I didn't see any voltage but I'm not sure I got good contact, can't see what's going on inside there. Is there another place to put the probes?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Well, you can disconnect the igniter and test right on the metal connectors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Getting 120V

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, great! That means just the igniter is bad and will need to be replaced, an easy fix! The correct igniter is available below, nice job!

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Igniter <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Thank you for allowing me to assist you! I am happy to answer any follow up questions you may have at no additional charge.

Thank you for a positive feedback rating!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Kelly! Really appreciate your help.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, I enjoyed working with you. Let me know if you have any other appliance troubles! Thank you!
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!