Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Our Maytag washer will not turn on when the power button is

Customer Question

Our Maytag washer will not turn on when the power button is pushed. There is no response no light up, no sound nothing. I have unplugged and plugged it back in. Checked the house fuse box and it is not tripped.

Could you please suggest something else I could try.

Thank you so much for your help.

Mary Lois Blihovde
Cleveland, GA
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? Is this a top load or front load washer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is a front load washer.

Sorry, I am at work and do not have a model number

If you have to have the model number could we continue this conversation tomorrow?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
If it's a front load washer, then I do not need the model number. But unfortunately you have a rather large issue. You'll first want to run an extension cord to a different outlet that you know is working to make sure the washer is getting power. If it still doesn't turn on, then you have a failed part.

There are 2 parts that can cause this unit to act completely dead if you're sure the washer is getting power from your house. Either the noise filter assembly has failed, or the main control board has failed. Both of these parts are located under the top panel of the washer so you'll need to pull the washer forward, remove the screws coming in from the back of the top panel, and the top panel will pull straight back, up, and off. Now you'll need a multimeter so you can test the noise filter. Follow the power cord in through the back of the washer and you'll see it plugs into a little device known as the noise filter. You need to test power going into the filter from the power cord as well as coming out of the filter. If the filter does NOT have 120 volts coming out, then you have a bad filter board that will need to be replaced. Otherwise, you'll need to order and replace the main control board because it's shorted for some reason.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I see you gave me a negative rating. Was there something I could help you with to improve that rating? I can't control the problems that your washer gets, I can only help determine what needs to be done to fix the problem.