Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Whirlpool Cabrio Washer, Model WTW5500XW1, it makes

I have a Whirlpool Cabrio Washer, Model WTW5500XW1, it makes a loud grinding noise during the wash cycle. It is barely a year old. Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Does the unit make a grinding noise when in the spin cycle? or just during the agitation cycle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not heard it in the spin cycle, just when its washing or rinsing, not spin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Any ideas?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK, so there are really only 2 things on this model that would create a grinding noise during wash and not during spin. Either your gearbox is going bad and needs to be replaced, or the plastic gear on the bottom of the washer has gotten loose and needs to be tightned down. Tip the washer backwards and remove the screws going into the plastic housing (part 20 in the diagram below). Remove this plastic cover and tighten down the center bolt going into part 13. Now start the washer again and if you still have a grinding noise, the gearbox part 5 would need to be replaced. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this issue when the washer is still quite new.

graphic
Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We are trying that right now. Thanks.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Alright sounds good. Hopefully you don't need a gearbox, but my suspicions is that you will, and that is rather expensive so if it's just over a year old I might call Whirlpool and see if they'll help with the repair.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well we tightened the bolt which was a little loose, however it is still making the noise... I am going to call Whirlpool. This ridiculous. Thanks.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Alright no problem. I'm sorry about the bad news, but I would definitely call Whirlpool as well considering how new the unit is.