Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

After oven turns on for 15 to 20 seconds oven shuts off but

Customer Question

After oven turns on for 15 to 20 seconds oven shuts off but electronic control board is still indicating oven is operating. Gas valve is turned off. preheat cycle shows temp but gas is off. So far I have replaced electronic ignitor and oven temp sensor.
Submitted: 1 year ago via PartSelect.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is Kelly and I look forward to helping you! May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

model GFG461LVS1

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! If you leave it after it shuts off, will it ever light back up and heat? Does it light up initially every time but them shut down?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

oven ignits on start up just fine but during preheat up it turns off gas valve and oven sets in a idle mode and will not restart

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, let's have a look to see what, if any, fault codes are stored in the control's memory. Can you please follow the instructions below and let me know what you find?

1. To enter into diagnostics mode press the CANCEL/OFF and START
keys in the following order when the oven is not in cooking, broiling, or
cleaning mode. CANCEL/OFF > CANCEL/OFF > START. The control
will then indicate test in the display.

2. Press the TEMP/TIME “More” arrow key to read the following:
1 = oven sensor temperature; 2 = user cooking offset; 3 = software
version; 4 = memory checksum; 5 = last fault code; 6 = accumulated
operation time; 7 = switch state.

3. Note failure code and sensor value readings
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

diagnostics mode : test on, 84 f, u0

all others are usage run times

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so no fault codes are stored in the memory, nice work. The control is keeping the oven program running, the valve has to be good or it would not initially light, so that leaves the part with a very high rate of failure as suspect, the spark control module. I would recommend replacing that part, pictured and available below. It is accessed by removing the rear access panel from the control area.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Spark Control <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Repair Video <----- CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE VIDEO

Thank you for allowing me to assist you! I am happy to answer any follow up questions you may have at no additional charge.

Thank you for a positive feedback rating!a