Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

I have a Whirlpool ED5RHAXNB00. The freezer and refrigerator

I have a Whirlpool ED5RHAXNB00.
The freezer and refrigerator are not cooling correctly (Fridge: 58F Freezer: 58F). The fan in the freezer compartment is running and the lights turn on.
I hear a relay click and what sounds like the compressor turn on every few minutes, the lights dim slightly but it only runs for about 10 seconds - and then stops.
Thanks for any ideas you have.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So that relay click that you hear is the key to your problems. This means that your compressor is overloading and cutting out.  It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over.  Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator.  Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor.  There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it.  This is your overload relay.  Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it.  If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced.  If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I hear a very slight rattle. I'll try replacing it.

OK sounds good. If for some reason it doesn't fix it, then you'd know you need a new compressor which is about $550 to replace just so you know what your looking at.