Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

Dishwasher IFU37000 pchsed May 1996 Q1. No prior trouble

Dishwasher IFU37000 pchsed May 1996
Q1. No prior trouble with the machine. But recently it will sometimes make activity noises and procede with the cycle, but no water comes into the tub. Is this a sticky valve somewhere, or could the problem be something else?
Q2. Not I (landlord) nor widower tenant are familiar with operating a dishwasher. We cannot locate the User Care and Operation Guide. Is there one available, perhaps on the net? Could the trouble be as simple as improperly pressed buttons?

Thank you.

James McLaren [email protected]
Gull Lake, SK 35 miles west of Swift Current, SK
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you're positive that the dishwasher is definitely getting water from your house then you either have an issue with your electronic water valve underneath the washer or your float switch is sticking in the up position. The problem is the the problem is sporadic right now so you can only check for the problem when it's acting up. This does also tend to mean that the issue has nothing to do with the dishwasher not getting power since that would be difficult to be "sporadic". Open up your door and look in the front corner of your dishwasher there is a plastic circular float device. Wiggle this up and down and make sure it's in the down position. If it's stuck in the up position it will not fill. If it still doesn't work and you looked under the dishwasher and you don't see any wires unplugged then you will need to order and replace your electronic water valve.

Now if you have a multimeter, you can do one more test to confirm the valve is bad by testing for 120 volts across the 2 wires going to the electronic water valve. If you have 120 volts and it's not filling, then your valve is definitely bad.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Any suggestions about locating a user guide?

That would be a problem as this unit was made before they started storing them digitally to download. You would need to call Whirlpool (who owns Inglis) and see if there is any way to send you a manual. They would definitely charge you if they had the manual to send, but paying or not that may not be an option on an older unit like this if they don't have excess manuals still.