The Home Smithy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years repairing appliances
3079445

I asked this once but dont think the computer saved my question.

I asked this once but don't think the computer saved my question. Briefly, I have a Kenmore self-cleaning electric range, model 665.95802, purchased new in 2000. No repairs or problems until now. The other day when baking at 400 degrees (not broiling) the oven would not shut off, the upper oven element came on and got hotter and hotter. We had to unplug the range to shut it down. It was so hot that I couldn't touch the glass stove top surface - hotter than when it is in the oven self-cleaning mode. After allowing it to cool, I plugged it back in and the upper oven element came on again without touching the BAKE or BROIL keys. Had to unplug it again. The OFF key had no effect. After reading the tech sheet today I plugged it back in. Again the upper element came on by itself. I activated the hidden E.O.C. function to recall the last failure code by pressing and holding the OFF/CANCEL key for 5 seconds. The display then showed E2 F3. Is the oven temp sensor bad or could there be something else wrong? I would like to fix it myself if possible. Thanks.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Smitty. I am a professional appliance repair consultant here to help you diagnose, and repair, your appliance.
The error code you posted is for a failed temperature sensor. The runaway condition is something that I would like to see if there is a tech update bulletin for. Please give me a few minuets to check for any updates or recalls.
Thank you.
Experience: 30 years repairing appliances
Okay, Kyle. There are no recalls for this model and no tech updates that I could find.
Go ahead and follow the instructions in your tech sheet to test the sensor.
Be sure to check the wires well for any shorts or bad connections from the sensor to the control board. It doesnt take much to screw up the readings sent to the control board from the sensor.
Below are the instructions just in case.
1. Measure sensor value (between connector pins) between 1000 W@ 32° F and 2697 W@
900° F (rroom temperature approx. = 1080 W). If measurement does not correlate to
real temperature, disconnect power, replace sensor and refer to steps 3-5. Also measure
from sensor connector to sensor casing for possible short.
2. Trace wires and connectors to sensor, from control, then from sensor back to control. If
all connections made and no wire damage, refer to step 3.
3. Disconnect power longer than 30 seconds.
4. Re-apply power and press BAKE and START/ENTER. Observe for longer than 1 minute.
5. If failure remains, disconnect power, replace control, then go back to step 4.

Please let me know if you have any other concerns. If not please select a positive rating at this time. It will not close your question and you may still ask follow up questions after you rate my service.
Best, Smitty